Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPOD Connection

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Pete

iPOD Connection

Post by Pete » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Although there is a good in depth topic about the Intravee, please can someone tell me what options I have for connecting my ipod to a e53. I have the mark4 sat nav and a multichanger (looks like Sony) at the moment and want a relatively cheap way of running my ipod through the existing equipment that I have. I previously had an Alpine KCA-420i in my last car which did everything I wanted but going off what I've read, this will only work alongside an Intravee/similar piece of kit.

I would be happy to just have the ipod playing in shuffle mode as a temp measure so long as the sound quality is good and this is cheap to do.

petert

Re: iPOD Connection

Post by petert » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:23 am

Pete - you can add an aux input available from BMW for (if I recall correctly) about 45 quid. Needs a bit of wiring but supposed to be fairly straightforward. I used to have the intravee (sold it to a forum member) and it's very good. Not a cheap option though.

Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:22 am

After scouring the internet, I think I am going to go the Intravee route.
Although it is expensive, it seems the best option in terms of control. Like you say too, when the time comes to sell the car on you can remove it and sell it on for a decent price. I stupidly left a kca-420i in my last car as i thought it would have been no further use to me :oops:

ChrisLux

Post by ChrisLux » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:35 am

Depending if you want to have all the original stuff working , there is this new product available which they say , unlike other ones , will allow you to keep the factory cd-charger as well as the other kit . It's priced around £110 and looks from what I've read to be nice kit .

Their website is ; www.CelsusIce.co.uk tel ; 01202 664390
http://www.celsusice.co.uk/chooser_model_143.php

Chris
'97 E36 B8 4.6 Touring (19/27) , Individual Tannen Grun

'02 E39 ACS5 3.0d Touring , Individual Velvet Blau - sold

'05 E53 X5 3.0d , Sapphire Schwartz

'07 R56 Mini Cooper S , Astro Schwartz

Freude am Fahren - Sheer Driving Pleasure

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 pm

If you really wanted to keep the cd changer AFAIK you can do so with the intravee by adding an intravee switch.......though why you would need to keep it i don't know!!!
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:37 pm

The switches are on hold at the minute x555, not looked into why but at £99 (I think) they are/were dear too.

If you want super cheap, those tape adapters are pretty good. I had a Phillips one for £10 and the quality was very good. That was before the Intravee...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 am

The Cd's jump in the interchanger. I haven't taken it out yet so i'm hoping it's been accidentally set to verticle rather than horizontal which would explain why it's happening.
I think I will just go for the Intravee but i'm a tad skint at the moment.

petert

Post by petert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Pete - I refitted the changer after removing the intravee and before you picked up the car. I noticed that the CDs jump on rough roads as well (the M42 near Birmingham airport was always bad!). It's definitely installed as per design so it's just a feature of the changer and the car though maybe changing out the suspension rubber components will help. As you say, an intravee plus iPod gets round the problem in its entirety. Actually I've just remembered one more thang that might help - i didn't have all 4 bolts for the changer so maybe another bolt or two from your friendly local dealer will improve things. Worth a try while you save up!!!

Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:53 pm

I've just ordered an Intravee via Toys In Your Car. I've looked around and it seems to me that they hold their price really well via Ebay so I'd be best off buying a new one for £150 and then getting a 2nd hand KCA-420i adaptor for £40 off ebay...seems a bit of a false economy to pay £200 plus for totally 2nd hand set up :?