Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Porsche Boxster to X5

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Anim

Re: Porsche Boxster to X5

Post by Anim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks all, I have some updates on my research :)
Now, obviously a Boxster and an X5 are very different but I was wondering if anybody else made this switch? Any observations?
A few people have said they love the X5 as much as the Boxster which is great as it means the switch wont be a disapointment where fun is concerned (V8's)
Whats is the X5 like on light snow and slush? Does the 4 wheel drive system still help even tho it has sporty all season wide tyres?
Not much to find on this one but I can probably assume its better than the Boxster due to it being far heavier and 4 wheel drive. The real solution is to drop winter tyres on it at a cost of £700 for Wintraks.
What are considered the must have extras when looking?
In order of owner preference:

1. Comms Pack
2. Full leather (Nappa preffered)
3. Xenons
4. Heated Seats
5. Logic 7 DSP Sound upgrade
6. Panaramic Sunroof
Is the X5 generally reliable and what does a full service cost?
Servicing seems much cheaper than the Boxster, inspection 2 indy prices from £120 to £250 for example and the Boxster being £400+ for its major. As for being reliable, there are a few scare stories but there always are as its what the internet is mostly used for, In general I get the impression the engine is pretty solid but things to inspect after 55k miles are the suspension (check for tilting), bushes and drop links (rattles while driving) and the water pump (leaks). I guess a 3rd party warranty could be used for peace of mind.

Cheers
Anim

bullethead

Re: Porsche Boxster to X5

Post by bullethead » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:19 pm

If you can make to Sheps gaff in October you can have a prod about in a load of different X's then see for yourself whether or not you want toys, derv or a V8.