Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Autoexpress Used Car Awards....Large SUV

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Darnicmax

Autoexpress Used Car Awards....Large SUV

Post by Darnicmax » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:53 am

Received an e-mail from Autoexpress this morning highlighting their used car awards (sorry if this has been posted already!)

Whilst the Land Rover Disc 3 took the award, both the E70 and E53 took 'nearly new' and 'value choice' slots :)

Heres the link to the article:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews ... e_suv.html

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Autoexpress Used Car Awards....Large SUV

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 am

No telling for taste of some......wouldn't touch a Disco 3 with a barge pole, new or used!!! My experience of Land Rover products has evolved after many years of Range Rover ownership and I have always felt the Disco 3 to be the ugliest most boring looking SUV available, plus it lacks the sheer driving pleasure, build quality and finish and sleek lines of the BMW :D No contest for my 4.8, anyway :evil:
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:34 am

The difference is I wouldn't think twice about taking a brand new Disco 3 off road and giving it some abuse... my X5 however doesn't even go close to a field and it is 6 years old! You have to remember what they are built for, and the Disco definitely isn't built for comfort and luxury... its built for Farmers and People who live in the country to use as a tool.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Hmmm....not really! I mean about the Disco being "built for farmers" etc - it isn't really, that's the preserve of Land Rover Series vehicles, Defenders and the like, they are the "proper" farming vehicles. That said, early Discos (1s and 2s) are currently being readily modified and used on off road circuits. They suffer from the same poor build quality of all Land Rover products of course :)

Disco 3s are capable tow vehicles and off road, although I'm not aware of many Disco 3 owners who regularly go offroading in their shiny newish pricey Disco 3s, except of course for mounting pavements on the school run and tight parking places :)

I tried a Disco when I was looking for a 4x4 and preferred the Range Rover every time, although the seats in both are hard and uncomfortable for such expensive luxury vehicles, and the BMW interior and finish is worlds ahead of both. Gimmee my 4.8 every time ........ :)
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.