Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Converted my PS2 into a media center

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:11 pm

So while the site was down, been doing a little hacking. I was using an Archos 504 handheld to feed video's to the screens, to keep the kids entertained on long trips. I always wanted to hack my PS2 to do this but never got round to it as it seemed a little mad and no clear cut answers, I knew it could be done, but the how part was all over the place. the archos was good, but meant I needed it in the car, charged or plugged in and control from the little touch screen, and I'm a lazy guy.

Anyway hacked the PS2 plus a little customization, so now I boot PS2 it loads a directory of movies, better still taught the eldest what to do, so it's his problem now. Runs off an 2.5" external hardrive plugged into the PS2, the hacks all live on an 8MB PS2 memory card. I will write up a full 'How To' on this when I have a little time as its quite a bit'y process.

Video Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMTG0x0pFQ

Last edited by jeegnesh on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Converter my PS2 into a media center

Post by Sanj » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:19 pm

The little midget came true. GREAT media player and my kid loves it, all for £18 iirc! Just need to wire in Jigs IR now.... :D
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:20 pm

When will it end... :roll:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:19 am

[quote=""Sanj""]The little midget came true. GREAT media player and my kid loves it, all for £18 iirc! Just need to wire in Jigs IR now.... :D[/quote]
Not very nice mate, considering the joy your son is having with his new toy.
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

5hep

Re: Converted my PS2 into a media center

Post by 5hep » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:22 am

I've got one of these in the loft :whistle:
Faded Carbon Black'ish 3.0d Exclusive / Abarth 500 Esseesse

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:35 am

[quote=""5hep""]I've got one of these in the loft :whistle:[/quote]
First job to get it working in the car. Then a wholes bunch of other stuff.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:56 am

Impressive stuff

Well done

Looking forward to full how to as & when.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:15 am

I've got this too and it is amazing for the cost :driving:

The Archos was good but just going into the center console to select movies was a pain......this works from a PS2 remote so inceredibly user friendly.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Looks good Jig :thumbsup: i had heard about it from Sanj and something i may look into...... for the kids of course.
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:11 pm

If you decide you want to do it - we can help get all the bits together before the next meet and help install it if you like?

Actually Jig should - his way of paying you back for the sub box! :lol:

You should do a How To on that btw.