Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi level brake light?!?!?!?

How-To articles ONLY go here.
peter316

Hi level brake light?!?!?!?

Post by peter316 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 am

Hi,

My brother followed me home the other night and informed me that my high level brake light has a few LED's not working, how can this be fixed?

Ive tried searching but cant make much sense of any of it!

Thanks

Peter

briankerrys47

Re: Hi level brake light?!?!?!?

Post by briankerrys47 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:47 am

Simlar to me Peter,but mine is not below 50% yet :o,I think we may have to remove the whole spoiler  O:-) some post on forum but I have not found it yet,when Sanji,Raj,Richard are back from shopping I am sure they will have the answer O:-)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Oi!  How did you know I was shopping?

It's a spoiler off job.  Not sure if you can get inside the lamp to repair it or you need to buy a complete replacement.

Facelifted lamp details here on Realoem

Video available.

Right, off to put the shopping away...... :P

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

briankerrys47

DRe: Hi level brake light?!?!?!?

Post by briankerrys47 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Thank you Richard as always ,after watching the video and looking at the price :blink: I feel a headache coming on,mind you if Jeegness! Spots this he will be hospitalised or Sanji will leave the country when phone rings :)) :))

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:29 pm

:rofl: :rofl:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:56 pm

There is a simple answer for this one people.

get access to this LED light cluster, and get some one to press the brake pedal...

The LED's that light up... put a multi meter across the LED legs and measure the voltage...

If you get lucky, it will read 12/13 is volts, meaning that a 12volt LED is in place here.
It may well use lower voltage LED's with an additional resistor in series to drop the voltage.

THEN, you go to MAPLIN's and get some more LED's to replace the whole lot, noting the internal direction of the LED guts to re-solder the new ones in place.
The reason to change the lot, is that if a few have failed, then the rest won't be far behind most likely, and... the new ones may be a different brightness to the old ones.

It is also possible that the soldering at the legs of the LED's may have been dodgy and gone open circuit, and the joints being re-flowed may also solve the problem with no expense at all.

Hope this helps.