Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auxiliary Heater.

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Gareth83

Auxiliary Heater.

Post by Gareth83 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Ok somewhat of a idiot question but do all X5's come with the Auxillary heater or was it an additional extra? I would love to have my car nice and warm on those cold mornings. Also the fob that switches this function on
(which I don't have) if my car does have this Auxillary heater can I purchase the remote from the dealer?

Thanks
04 X5 3.0d sport

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Auxiliary Heater.

Post by Horizon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:28 pm

[quote="Gareth83"]
Ok somewhat of a idiot question but do all X5's come with the Auxillary heater or was it an additional extra? I would love to have my car nice and warm on those cold mornings. Also the fob that switches this function on
(which I don't have) if my car does have this Auxillary heater can I purchase the remote from the dealer?

Thanks
[/quote]
If it's a 3.0 D sport it will have a webasco thermoZ fitted under the bonnet it a silver box on the right as you luck into the open bonnet high up on the near side inner wing.
loads of threads on the forum do a search using the search button using webasco as a search word
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Gareth83

Post by Gareth83 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Thank you pal, just checked and its present
04 X5 3.0d sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:28 pm

You need a Telestart Unit to remote it (best via fleabay), T80/90/100, or look at this very forum for diy alternatives....at a lot less money.

I don't think you can get the right remote modules from BMW any longer as the part is obsolete. 
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Gareth83

Post by Gareth83 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:13 pm

Is this telestart unit basically a transmitter and receiver ( key remote) to enable the webasco unit to be switched on. Is there anyway I can test the webasco heater first before I go to the expense of the telestart unit.

Also when I look on the onboard computer there is only the option to setup the vent on a timer and no option for the heater, would this have to be enabled via the scanner 1.4.0 tool

Thanks
04 X5 3.0d sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Read the thread carefully as enabling the wrong function can leave you with issues.

The Webasto Telestart is a module that plugs into a socket in the boot modules area plus a separate key fob remote.  It allows you to manually override the auto settings.  Aux heating was an added option - hence needing to be careful how you enable it - that could be added to the car at new.  The standard mode the car has is as you have found.

The Webasto is there to provide fast heating of the engine coolant and normally operates at <5C.  You can check it by applying +12V to pin 1 on the Webasto electrical connector under the bonnet.  This forces the unit to operate, and you need to keep power on for several minutes to ensure a proper cycle.

If correctly enabled with a Telestart and coded in the unit will monitor both fuel and battery levels and cut out if either get too low.  If you don't enable it properly then it will either not work, or run on until either the fuel or battery get too low and you will not be able to start the car.

It's not a difficult job to do, but just needs a bit of care during the process of getting it to run properly.  The thread in the E53 section has all the gen on what to do, and more importantly, not to do!

Gareth83

Post by Gareth83 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:43 pm

Ok really helpful thank you so much for that X5Sport.  Would this be the part I need http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121714341832&globalID=EBAY-GB
04 X5 3.0d sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:03 pm

No!

The correct part is a Telestart T80/90/100.  That part is something else and overrides part of the alarm system.  Not a good idea, and your insurers may not be best pleased either!  Correct unit plugs into a socket in the boot made for it to go into.

As said before, read the detailed thread for what you need.

sprintman

Post by sprintman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:22 pm

If You need it Enabling Let me know -i have carsoft on my laptop and can enable it to work on the timer from the cars obc i live in rossendale so only about 20 mins away from you ;)
My other car is the wife's mini dooper( it must be mine all she does is drive it!)