Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Let's talk dirty ....

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.

Diesel! which variant of derv do you use and does it make any difference?

Poll runs till Tue Jun 20, 2062 8:37 am

premium diesel such as Shell's V Power
10%
good quality fuel from B.P, Shell, Esso etc
20%
supermarket diesel (the cheaper the better)
60%
Premium diesel every 4th fill up (keep the engine clean and wallet intact)
10%
i really don't care as long as the tractor starts!
No votes

Total votes: 10

Pinewood

Let's talk dirty ....

Post by Pinewood » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Personally i use a mixture of all 3. usually quality stuff from BP and Shell, with the V Power every 4th or so top up. regular diesel is hovering at 99p/litre, and i filled up yesterday with Shell V Power at 110p/litre. I put in 60 litres so a £6 difference  approx between normal and the good stuff.

Does it make any difference to the car or it's running - i can't say i have noticed a difference as yet, but not had a chance to open her up on a fast dual cariageway/motorway since the fill up
Last edited by Pinewood on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Let's talk dirty ....

Post by X5Sport » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm

We get this come up regularly, and there is at least one member on here who has first hand knowledge of refining.  Diesel is diesel!  The only differences are due to whatever the tanker driver adds to his/her load.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:46 pm

So there is no difference between what Asda sells and Shell V Power for example?
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Only in the form of additives in the V-power tanker.  It all comes from one or two refineries and you see everyone's tankers at the fuel stores (such as Buncefield once was) filling up.

Additives can change (increase) the Cetane rating, add detergents etc.  The underlying fuel is still the same stuff.  And it's all made to meet the same EU spec.  EN590:2009

There is a 'winterised' version that can be supplied too which is designed to prevent waxing in tanks/fuel lines.  This is more of an issue for HGVs as most modern cars have heated fuel systems.
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks for the info :-)
Another question: do our X's work okay with regular diesel, but stay healthier with the premuim derv?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Personally I have never used 'Premium' in any diesel powered car I have owned since 1985, and never had a problem.  They all get supermarket fuel and always have.  What I do occasionally do, and it's because the X6 does a lot of short journeys, is put BMW's diesel additive in - perhaps once every year or so.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:18 am

Shell regular for me. My company pay for all my fuel but super is not permitted.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:18 am

Watched an old episode of 5th gear on Dave.  Vicky tested 3 premium diesels against regular BP and Asda.
Shell V Power produced more power.
Esso was next (but most expensive)
B. P premium next
B. P regular and asda were practically the same in terms of power output.
She then drove the Golf Tdi with each fuel and noticed a small difference in driving.
No mention of one fuel being better for the engine over the other.
So in short, what you say is correct. Fill your car up with what you want, and give her a good run every now and again