13 Pin Towing Socket

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 13 Pin Towing Socket

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:15 pm

If it's new and you weren't warned about the wiring, or it isn't mentioned anywhere in the brochure then BMW have to fix it.  13-pin electrics means 13-pin electrics installed not half installed.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Thank you.

It is new although I didn't factory order it. I will speak to them tomorrow and see how I get on.

Apart from that it is great though

Mfosbrooke

Post by Mfosbrooke » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:54 pm

Ive just got back from towing my caravan through an extremely muddy field in the middle of Glastonbury and I've had no issues with the caravan hitting the rear bumper of the car while connected but does get close to the number if the car is lower than the caravan when you unhitch as when you raise the hitch off it does get closer but the rubber on the hitch hasn't damaged the car. We had the problems with the 13 pin electrics and came across this forum my self and I've seen a lot of different price ranges that bmw charge to fix, I'm very much on the side that bmw should fix the problem free of charge but after they fixed mine they tried charging me £1100 lucky after some fuss and knowing the dealer owner after purchasing cars from them for a while they did it for free and a good will. Only problem i do now have is when i turn corners with the caravan on theres a huge squeaking noise coming from the hitch but don't believe its car related.
BMW X5 F15 MSPORT 2016

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:38 pm

That's interesting as I have the same noise which is why I found this thread initially. I have spoken to my dealer who to be fair has said they need to see the car but if it not right they will fix it without question. It goes in tomorrow so we will see but so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mfosbrooke

Post by Mfosbrooke » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Be good to find out, the information I've found online so far points to dust and grease in the tow hitch.
BMW X5 F15 MSPORT 2016

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Yes I've seen that too. I have cleaned the friction pads and the tow ball again so will see if that sorts it.

Mfosbrooke

Post by Mfosbrooke » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:20 am

Did BMW come back with anything when they had your car?
BMW X5 F15 MSPORT 2016

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:53 am

Yes they did. They confirmed it was not fully wired and have ordered the parts. It is being fixed in the 12th. I think BMW uk are paying but if not it is the dealer. Either way they have confirmed that it won't cost me a penny. They have been very good about it and have never questioned that it should done or even hinted that I should pay.

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:56 pm

I will wait and see what happens with the noise when I get it back

Mfosbrooke

Post by Mfosbrooke » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:27 pm

you'll have to let us know how it goes, I've been to a caravan mechanic and they think the noise I've had is from the alko pads.
BMW X5 F15 MSPORT 2016

allforus

Post by allforus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Don't think you have an Issue it looks close but it would s only on extreme reversing that it would be an issue just test it for yourself if you have the reversing camera you can keep an eye on it
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:57 pm

[quote="allforus"]
Don't think you have an Issue it looks close but it would s only on extreme reversing that it would be an issue just test it for yourself if you have the reversing camera you can keep an eye on it
[/quote]
Thanks allforus. That's a good idea as I do have the reverse camera. I think it is the friction pads as quoted above. I hope it is just that I hadn't fully cleaned the laquer off the tow ball. I will find out in a couple of days.

The electrics are still not sorted as they ordered the wrong wiring kit. I will have to accept cold beer when I arrive in site[emoji4]

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Just thought I would update if it's any use to anyone in the future.

GROANING NOISE

I cleaned the friction pads on the caravan and the tow ball again in case it still had any laquer left in it. I also made sure the overrun bar was well greased.

I took the caravan to Cornwall and back (350miles each way) and there was no noise or groaning. I can't be sure what made the difference but I would guess it was the tow bar. It looks clean when you get it because it has clear laquer but you need to get every bit off.  It could have been the friction pads but it's easy to do both anyway.

ELECTRICS

The dealer called me a couple of days after I got back to tell me they had the right kit to sort out the electrics and booked it in for the following week. They have now fixed it and it works with the fridge etc perfectly. They even collected the car from my office and brought it back the next day cleaned  and filled with fuel which was a nice touch. Even though it took them a couple of attempts to sort it I can't fault the service from them, and at no point did anyone question that it should have the correct electrics, or that it shouldn't cost me anything.

Now sorted and with a great tow car

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Good result, and exactly right.  BMW GB have been told that they should either change the brochures or expect to pay to fit the missing wiring.  They just appear to have shrugged it off. 

What annoys me are those Dealers who charge to supply what the car should have been supplied with in the first place!  You buy 13-pin electrics then you expect them to be fully wired.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.