Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How does a F25 X3 compare to an E70 X5?.

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi, currently have an 08 E70 3.0d X5 and its just coming up to 160k, may trade it in for something a little younger.
The new shape X5 is still holding very strong money and as we could go to a slightly smaller car I was thinking F25 X3 3.0 or 35d.
I don't know much about them so have a few basic questions:-

Any one on here gone from an E70 to a F25?.

Is the MPG any good on the X3? as the E70's never seem to get anywhere near the BMW quoted figures.

Does the X3 have rear air suspension? like the E70.

Have the later N series 3L diesels had any of the timing chain issues? like the N series 2L 's did.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How does a F25 X3 compare to an E70 X5?.

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Official MPG Data will never match 'real world' as the test is done with the lightest possible build on a rolling road, static and at 20°C.  Take 30% off most manufacturers figures and you will be getting realistic numbers.  Hence DfT stating they are for 'comparative purposes only'.  Roll on getting the new test standard into place.....even though the industry is going to hate it given how bad it is going to make them in reality.

Have a look at Realoem to see if air springs are included.  On some E70 models it needed certain trim combinations, 7-seats or the addition of a tow-bar, or Buyers choice.  The F25 may have similar quirks.

Timing chain issues have not (yet) been reported within this Forum on the N-series 6-cyl engines.  Good thing really as the timing gear is now all at the back, meaning full engine out required!
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

WexIan

Post by WexIan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi. I am driving a 2L Auto 2014 model X3 and I am averaging 43 mpg. This would include motorway and secondary roads. My previous car was an A5 Audi Auto and I was getting the same mpg from it, so I think for a SUV with 50 more horses under the bonnet not bad.  :)

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:14 am

[quote="WexIan"]
Hi. I am driving a 2L Auto 2014 model X3 and I am averaging 43 mpg. This would include motorway and secondary roads. My previous car was an A5 Audi Auto and I was getting the same mpg from it, so I think for a SUV with 50 more horses under the bonnet not bad.  :)
[/quote]How do you find the interia build quality of the X3? as I was never really that impressed with our X5, our E91 was put together better and had less rattles/squeaks.

WexIan

Post by WexIan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 pm

[quote="martin33100"]
[quote="WexIan"]
[/quote]How do you find the interia build quality of the X3? as I was never really that impressed with our X5, our E91 was put together better and had less rattles/squeaks.
[/quote]
I am driving my X3 for 10 months now and covered over 12000 miles and am very pleased with it. No rattles or squeaks. Some road noise on rougher roads but thats to be expected. Good German build quality.
I have leather seats and they are not heated so a cold bum these days until she heats up. Adaptive Xenon light which are brilliant as they follow you around turns.
The one thing I thought that was better in an Audi was the 8 speed auto box it was very difficult to notice gear changes as they were seamless whereas the 8 speed BMW box is not as smooth and is inclined to hold onto a lower gear if travelling slowly downhill.
I didnt go out to buy a X3 as I wanted an Audi Q5 but the dealer who I test drived the Q5 from wasnt arsed in giving me a trade in price on my A5, whereas my local BMW dealer wanted my business so I changed over. Overall I am pleased with my Beemer and would recomend one any day.

martin33100

Post by martin33100 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 am

[quote="WexIan"]
[quote="martin33100"]
[quote="WexIan"]
[/quote]
I am driving my X3 for 10 months now and covered over 12000 miles and am very pleased with it. No rattles or squeaks. Some road noise on rougher roads but thats to be expected. Good German build quality.
I have leather seats and they are not heated so a cold bum these days until she heats up. Adaptive Xenon light which are brilliant as they follow you around turns.
The one thing I thought that was better in an Audi was the 8 speed auto box it was very difficult to notice gear changes as they were seamless whereas the 8 speed BMW box is not as smooth and is inclined to hold onto a lower gear if travelling slowly downhill.
I didnt go out to buy a X3 as I wanted an Audi Q5 but the dealer who I test drived the Q5 from wasnt arsed in giving me a trade in price on my A5, whereas my local BMW dealer wanted my business so I changed over. Overall I am pleased with my Beemer and would recomend one any day.
[/quote]We are also going to look at a Q5 as that's also available in petrol unlike the X3, my sister in law has the SQ5 and it's a nice car.
Very odd about the gearbox but it could be down to the BMW software as essentially BMW and Audi use the same ZF 8 speed box.
The E70 sometimes holds the gears at low revs before changing and also the E60 can do the same.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:01 pm

I have an lci X3 30d M Sport and absolutely love it. The 8 speed auto is smooth and effortless to drive. I average 36mpg which includes driving (parking) in central London. Build quality is better than my old E60 530d. What amazes me is that the acceleration in this 4x4 is quicker than the E60 and yet returns better consumption.
Mine has pro media, adaptive bi-xenon lights which move,and heated seats

Edit: mpg lowered to reflect what i get over several months
Last edited by Pinewood on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:18 pm

[quote="martin33100"]
[quote="WexIan"]
[quote="martin33100"]
[quote="WexIan"]
[/quote]
[/quote]We are also going to look at a Q5 as that's also available in petrol unlike the X3, my sister in law has the SQ5 and it's a nice car.
Very odd about the gearbox but it could be down to the BMW software as essentially BMW and Audi use the same ZF 8 speed box.
The E70 sometimes holds the gears at low revs before changing and also the E60 can do the same.
[/quote]
The Audi doesn't have an auto gearbox as such, it's a DSG gearbox, which is a  auto twin clutch mated to a manual gearbox, so no slip. I had one in my Golf and the gear changes are undetectable.
It is used across the VAG range, Some models have messed with the software, probably trying to get more MPG
And made it change up too soon.  (  cue X5 Sport )
Last edited by Horizon on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

notyalc

Post by notyalc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 pm

The crappy Audi dsg box is why I will never have another Audi. Unreliable after 60 k miles, and expensive to mend. Audi of course say there's no fault because the computer does not show one!
SQ5 has a proper auto, but unfortunately the same dealers!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm not a fan of the DSG either now.

MattX

Post by MattX » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 am

[quote="Pinewood"]
I have an lack X3 30d M Sport and absolutely love it. The 8 speed auto is smooth and effortless to drive. I average 37mpg which includes driving (parking) in central London. Build quality is better than my old E60 530d. What amazes me is that the acceleration in this 4x4 is quicker than the E60 and yet returns better consumption.
Mine has pro media, adaptive bi-xenon lights which move,and heated seats
[/quote]

I've beem doing a lot of short trips lately and mines only getting 27mpg! Ive even put it in bloody eco mode and still not getting much more.
Do you have bo hills? I think the uphill driving murders my mpg.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:22 am

I live in a fairly flat area , but that does appear low. Even when doing numerous short trips, the lowest I have seen with lots of short sharp accelerations is 34mpg.
I drive in Central London with stop/start disabled and she never gives me less than 35mpg.
Motorways doing a constant 77mph (officer) give me around 36mpg.
Have you checked your tyre  pressures? I run 33 front and 34 rear (19" staggered). My driving has changed since getting a 4 x 4 as i leave a bigger distance between me and the car in front, this allows for more coasting and less braking in general

Sent from my iPhone
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:28 pm

I leave a bigger gap too......can't go scaring the poor luvvies in front  :devil:

kkx5

Post by kkx5 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:39 pm

X5 will always be X5 no matter how good X3 is....