Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2010 30d M Sport - Carbon Black Diary

Post your photos of your vehicle in here!
snrbrtsn

Re: 2010 30d M Sport - Carbon Black Diary

Post by snrbrtsn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Have you got the rear shelve in? Try removing
I cut and fitted a piece of rubber between the mounting points and seldom pull out the cover, as it causes an annoying squeak!

May be worth removing and checking before wrapping the latches

The other most likely spot is the window and door seals, gummi pflege takes care of the noises, twice a year application

Sit

Post by Sit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Yeah the rear shelf is always fitted and doesn't appear to be making any noise, will take it out tonight and use the car tomorrow without it and see if that changes anything......thanks for tip on window and door seals, I think I have some gummi pflege on the shelf in the garage.

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 pm

i had that annoying rattle on my E70 and its what your going to try, so fingers crossed for you. Not been an issue on my F15 but there's time yet  O:-)
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

Glen

Post by Glen » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 pm

I found the rattle coming from the tailgate latch.
I loosened the bolts and put some cardboard under the plate making it a tighter fit when tightened back up.
Lost that annoying creak  :)
2012 X5 40d msport Mine now gone :(
2010 320d convertible WIFE'S
2006 Mini cooper convertible WIFE'S gone
2017 X5 m50d m performance pack

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Forgot about the tailgate
I wrapped my latches also, I did find the lower tailgate central latch was loose
I cut the felt into strips and single wrapped each loop latch, too much felt and the lower tailgate won’t close!

Sit

Post by Sit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:23 pm

[quote="snrbrtsn"]
Forgot about the tailgate
I wrapped my latches also, I did find the lower tailgate central latch was loose
I cut the felt into strips and single wrapped each loop latch, too much felt and the lower tailgate won’t close!
[/quote]

Job for tomorrow morning  :ok:

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

Sit

Post by Sit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Well the latch wrapping hasn't really changed much so far, the rear seat catches have been wrapped with a piece of felt around each side (driver and passenger) however the noise still remains. I looked at wrapping the tailgate loops but for some reason the self adhesive felt is choosey in what it adheres too and I cannot get it to stick. So at present I am still rattling......

In other news it was time to visit the dealer today for brake fluid service and inspection of the water ingress into the inner rear tail lights.

When I arrived they plugged my key into the machine and said 'oh you also due an oil service in 600 miles' so my day suddenly got more expensive! However as the car was booked in for the day anyway I figured it was more convenient to have it all done in one go.

The car was ready at 17.00hrs so got a lift back to collect it, when I arrived all servicing had been carried out and had gone without a hitch however the conversation around the water ingress was a little bizarre, bearing in mind they booked it in for a whole day so they could look at the problem.

When I dropped it off I said I was aware of a water ingress problem, possibly pointing towards shot seals, upon collection they told me they felt it was more than likely the seals however they hadn't removed the lights to check........so all they have done is stood at the back of the car and gone 'oh look theres water in there' and written it down on the sheet. I was told they didn't want to remove the lights in the vent it was the seals which they didn't have in stock and couldn't replace.

They told me if the seals were faulty they aren't covered on AUC however if the lights were damaged/faulty these would be covered. I then enquired as to the price of the seals, £10 a side plus two hours labour at £90.00 - i don't think so!!!

I have left them as is now, my thinking being that if the water continues to get in and the light fails then the light will be replaced and I may have to pick up the cost of the seals at £20!

In other news the gloss black badge has been fitted, great little kit that came with measured template, nylon wire for removal of old badge - really impressed, only a small change but ties in with Shadowline trim etc.

Si

Sit

Post by Sit » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 am

Well guess what -

The o/s rear light cluster has given up the ghost!!!! So will be back on the phone to Westerly tomorrow getting it booked back in to be sorted.

Will see what reception I get.....

Si

Sit

Post by Sit » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 pm

So bit of an update, the car is booked in for two days next week going in on Tues and back home on Weds afternoon during which they will provide me with a courtesy car. The light did briefly spring back into life but it was dimly lit and flickering so I think its definitely the water you can see swilling around inside.

In other news it looks like it might be up for sale in the near future, I have had some unexpected but pleasing news at work this week meaning a new role which will see me travelling up and down the motorway daily. Having spent some time on the motorway in the X5 I can pretty much say there is no where I would rather sit, however piling on the miles so quickly is not something I really want to do.

Most probably I will replace X5 with a cheaper diesel estate which I can chuck all my kit in the back of and not worry about it. Just upgraded the wifes car so she's now in an Audi A1 S-Line so will have a smart car to use when needed. I absolutely love the X5 but to date its been the luxury family car which we all enjoy using as a family, I don't want it to become the 'commuter' which will take the shine off of it.

Keep your eyes peeled for an ad in the coming weeks, someone will get a cracking car as it has the remaining 7 months AUC warranty on it which is transferable and extendable and I don't think there is a third party warranty supplier to match the AUC product.

Anyway I will keep you posted and update once the rear light saga is resolved.

Si

Sit

Post by Sit » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Well it spent three days in the dealership in the end, they took the lights out and told me that someone had previously been in and tried to seal the lights with a black silicone type sealant - from my research on the internet this is what came from the factory??? Anyway it came down to goodwill in the end as the AUC warranty doesn't cover 'seals' so they agreed to cover parts which were £500+ if I paid the labour which was £218.

At that stage if I told them to put it back together and I would sort myself I was into an hours labour for diagnosis and warranty claim, non genuine rear lights £140-£160 pair, new style seals at £12 per side plus finding the time to pull it all apart and not breaking anything else.

It was a no brainer and the new lights look SO much better than the milky faded goldfish bowl ones that failed. Car also got a full inspection and came back with a full set of green lights which is good news.

The car is now for sale in the Buy/Trade section, as above a sideways work move needs to make way for a motorway barge and Mrs Sit has just bought an A1 S-Line for any posh journeys in the interim. Its such an accomplished car I will really be sad to see it go, if it doesn't it doesn't but finances wise it makes sense to move it on now before piling on a load of boring miles and taking a bigger hit later on.

Si

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:12 pm

from my past experiences with the AUC warranty, I'm surprised they didn't change it ?? I was about 10 months into mine a few years back when I had an E70 very similar to yours, It was coming up to 6 years old and the battery was starting to give up, so I booked it in to have a new one fitted and was quite happy to pay for it which is what I thought was going to happen. When I went to pick car up and sort out payment, I was told that it was covered and the whole idea of the AUC warranty was that I didn't have to pay for anything in the covered year as they expect it to be all good for that, so as said, I'm surprised  :'(
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE