Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Flappy paddles on 2011 lci

How-To articles go here.
marsie

Flappy paddles on 2011 lci

Post by marsie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 am

Its probably been answered on here many times but i cannot seem to get a yes or no from google searches

My 2011 40d m sport had the steering wheel swapped by the previous owner to a flappy paddles version. However, that was as far as he got. What is involved in getting the paddles working

On one of my previous land rovers it was a case of swapping the wheel and spiral cassette and that was it!
will this be the same or much more involved

Thanks in advance
Paul

snrbrtsn

Re: Flappy paddles on 2011 lci

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:28 am

You first have to check if you have the wiring, from steering column to gearbox, this was standardised in 2012, ie the wiring required was present and not used if paddles were not specced

Assuming you are comfortable working with the airbag out of the steering wheel & still energized you can do the check below.
Disconnect the battery before removing the airbag, however you need to be reconnected to check the voltage at the pins.

The car needs to running or in ignition mode to check the voltage.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT DISCONNECT THE HARNESS FROM THE COIL SPRING OR THE AIRBAG!!

If you don’t have the wiring present, you’d have to wire in from the slip ring to mechatronic connector on gearbox

In particular you need to wire from the slip ring connector X1880 to the mechatronic connector X8532. The upshift signal goes from pin #2 in X1880 to pin #5 in X8532; the downshift signal goes from pin #4 of X1880 to pin #4 in X8532.

Good luck, if doing so, pleas onpass whether wired or not, I was thinking on this, however, I’d use once/twice and never again, though does look good!
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:29 pm

I did this conversion on my E61 and the wiring was not there, I had to install it. I also had to code the paddles before they would work. It wasn’t that hard, do-able if you are ok with wires.
2015 535d F07 5GT M Sport

klwill1192

Post by klwill1192 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:39 am

I just completed the heated steering wheel retrofit on my 2012 LCI E70. In the process I verified the 5VDC between pins 4 and 6 as shown above. Now I'm looking for a heated Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters and a Sport airbag cover. I want it all!