Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

4.6is Chain Guide Rebuild Time

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
V8 00USH

Re: 4.6is Chain Guide Rebuild Time

Post by V8 00USH » Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes, I have thought about it to be honest but after inspecting them I decided against it since they aren't actually in that bad condition - plus I've already spent enough!! Plus because I do all my work myself it wouldn't be the end of the world to change if it ever came to it. It's just an inlet manifold job off to do which after neating everything up shouldnt be the end of the world to do either. I would probably consider swapping them out for silicone equivalents at that stage too.

What I am more concerned about leaking is the gasket for the rear cover that runs inside the bell housing and the gaskets for the coolant accumulator block at the very top back of the engine - problem is you can't actually get to these from the front you have to get to them from the rear which means removing the gearbox - I'll address that if and when the time comes....might even tie that in with a manual RWD conversion!!  I'd also do the rear main crank seal at the same time as that isn't going to last forever!

This is the cover I'm talking about.....accumulator is just above the red circled area.

V8 00USH

Post by V8 00USH » Sat May 12, 2018 9:29 am

Little update from last night.

Media blasted the valve bracket which came up very well indeed.

Made up a quick bracket to replace the old LPG one

Today's jobs include lots of painting amongst other things.

Micevo

Post by Micevo » Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 am

Wow Fantastic work!!

Just a quick update on mine, as i mentioned the other week i was going to drop the sump again after a 100 or so miles,
Well i did on Thursday 200ish miles later so glad i did as i found more bits lurking on the bottom plate all cleaned out all sealed up again, so yes its a good idea to check after a few hundred miles going to do mine again in around 1k miles next oil change as only takes half hour or so happy days

V8 00USH

Post by V8 00USH » Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Apologies for the lack of updates people.....this last week has been something of a roller coaster of emotions with regards to the X5.

I shall begin where I left off last week.....painting....and more painting.

Everything masked up, cleaned with thinners and hung up ready...

...then primered....

...then painted...

You're probably going to ask the question 'why on earth paint those coolant pipes when you can't see them?'....I asked myself that question too.....but I couldn't help it. I know they will be in there all nicely painted and that's all that matters!!!  :))

So they whilst they were all drying....I turned my attention to something else that wasn't aesthetically pleasing to me. So this then happened.......

Now again....you're probably thinking why....well you'll see once the manifold goes back on again - you are still able to see part of the side of the heads. I'll admit to very little prepping of the area I sprayed. I just wanted to give it a bit of freshness....we'll see how it lasts though.

Here is is with the plastic valley cover back on and the coolant pipes fitted, with of course new o-rings and also the 4 knock sensors. Looks spot on I think.

Not before tapping the holes for the knock sensors too..

Next job....finish off building up the inlet manifold and breather setup...

New separator

Fitted with new silicone breather hoses

New gaskets

Unfortunately the fully assembled inlet manifold onto engine idea didn't go as planned......as  this picture shows it was hitting the underside of the scuttle panel

So after removing a few bits it finally went on......unfortunately that was also very short lived because of this part of the procedure....fitting the rear breather separator into the oil drain that goes down to the sump...

This, was NEVER going to fit into here with the available lack of clearance

Here's the pipe with the silicone joiner removed

Even the physical bore size of each part was dubious...

However perseverance paid off...

...and this was how it had to be.....separator in first then attached to back of manifold later...

Next to fix the manifold in place....but oh...wait...disaster...these had to be cleaned and painted beforehand...

All ready...

Then all the coilpacks were cleaned and fitted using new stainless nuts (not black as you can't see them!)

...and so this is how the engine stood at this point.....I was pretty happy with this.

So next job.....this mess of a loom...

The sleeving was oily and falling apart in places..

So we couldn't have that - I had plenty of old car looms lying around so I re-used some of the convoluted tubing I had to replace the old sleeving with.....much better

So with that all sorted I fitted the cam sensors with new o-rings....and of  course new black bolts..

So the last thing before first startup.....just over 8 litres of the good stuff...

As I am going to drop the oil and sump again after a couple of hundred miles I had contemplated using some slightly cheaper oil and filter combo but then soon dismissed that idea as completely insane due to the fact the engine hadn't been ran in well over a year and I needed the best filtration and lubrication available incase there were remnants of chain guide still floating around. Besides....the price I pay for 20L of the Fuchs Titan oil meant I would have only saved myself about £5 by getting some cheap Tesco oil or similar! Definitely not worth it!

Then......well.....disaster struck!!! The 2 post ramp that the X5 has been occupying for the past year or so decided to fail on me and left the X5 stuck right at the very top! The main load nut had failed and the emergency system had kicked in and left it inoperable. I then spent the next near on 2 hours manually winding each side down by hand to get it to a level where I could carry on working on it. This I admit was not good for my motivation.

So finally the X5 was at a decent level to work with and first start was attempted.....and unfortunately failed miserably! Turned the key and there was nothing, not even a click or an attempted turn over of the engine. Not a good start. So time for some fault finding. There was power going to the starter and the engine would turn over by bridging the solenoid and the main power terminal. So then I turned my attention to the ignition system, immobiliser and DME/EWS - got my scanner out and checked for faults, resynced everything but still nothing. Then.....then I realised my stupid mistake.

This connector....the one I thought was for the secondary air pump that I hadn't plugged in yet as it's not required for a startup...well...turns out it's not at all for the SAI pump. It's the signal wire subloom for the starter motor!! Well...it was well over a year since I'd disconnected it and to be honest I had completely forgotten I had to. The connector plugs in just in front of the starter motor under the left hand bank.

So after wasting a ridiculous amount of time on this it was time for the 2nd attempt at starting.......alas though...it wasn't to be. Engine turned over a treat...sounded normal but it just wouldnt fire. Very very occasionally there was the odd pop but nothing close to actually starting.

By this time it was 7pm on Sunday evening and after the days events I was admittedly on an all time downer which to be honest really isnt like me. Time to do some more investigating.

This was beginning not to make sense. I immediately ruled out timing as I'd locked everything and properly secured with the the proper locking kit. Engine had turned over by hand successfully and I heard compression whilst doing so. Fuel....check, plugs were wet and I could smell it, spark...check - earthed a coil pack out with a spark plug in it - yes all good there, compression...yes tested and all ok. This wasn't adding up at all. Then whilst more cranking attempts I received a throttle adaptation code - this confused me as I could hear the throttle opening and closing normally using the throttle pedal with the ignition off. I asked a question on the E53 Owners Facebook page if someone could kindly test and see if the engine would start without the throttle body plugged in - a couple of people kindly confirmed it wouldn't. So in my mind this could be the cause - a faulty throttle body. Strange because it worked perfectly before however it had been sat around for a year so who knows. So I resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't going to start that night so went home. I found myself a used throttle body on eBay that evening so got it ordered.

So the following day I was constantly sat going over what I'd done over the course of the rebuild and thinking could I have done anything wrong. I turned my attention to the timing aspect even though I'd dismissed it earlier and did some research....and low and behold I found this...

My locked cams (top) versus Besian Systems locked cams (bottom) - on both sides they were in different positions - how though, everything had locked down perfectly. I'd even made the additional locking plates to make sure the locking blocks wouldnt come out and accidentally move.

Anyway, what was clear was that there was definitely an issue somehow. So that night I went back down to the lockup and got cracking on tearing everything down again to reset the timing.

With the rocker and upper covers off I locked everything in place again which went very smoothly so it would appear that all the cams had been done right. I loosened off all the front pulleys again then got underneath to put the flywheel pin in place thoroughly expecting to not be able to do this and that I would have to rotate the crank. To my surprise the pin slid right in without even having to touch the crank. This then made even less sense....ok so the timing was absolutely spot on.....despite on the photos from when I originally locked it it appearing incorrect. Maybe there's 2 timing holes on the flywheel and I'd used the wrong one. After some more research this wasn't the case. This then properly confused me.

Then......it finally dawned on me...it was like a ray of light!!

I'd originally locked the engine at 180 degrees rather than 0 degrees. Hence why the cam blocks fitted perfect and the crank locked in place fine and the crank had shown TDC. The reason why it hadnt started was because I'd followed the procedure for when the engine was locked at 0 degrees - therefore the cam trigger wheel was effectively 180 degrees out when I'd used the special tool for timing this part up.

So basically the injectors were injecting fuel when the piston was at it's opposite phase i.e. moving upwards on it's exhaust stroke rather than its compression stroke. I couldn't believe it something so daft.

So that night I set everything 100% correctly and left it like this ready for reassembly the following evening

So the next evening I went down and carried on re-assembling. I had learnt a few more things whilst doing my extended research into the timing issue...

One was the existence of these markings on the cam to show when the cams were in the correct locking position...5 8 and 1 4 and also A & E to signify exhaust and intake cams.

I also found that you are supposed to use a small blob of sealant at various places as well as the rubber cam cover gasket..

This made refitting the rocker cover gaskets a proper challenge...specifically the right hand bank one due to the heater pipes being in the way in the very right hand corner.

I also went round all the studs as some of these had backed out...

So then...with everything finally refitted and in place it was time for the 3rd attempt at starting..I was feeling confident at this point...3rd time lucky...

For the sake of transparency this video wasn't taken of the very first start - I completely forgot in my excitement to film it....however this was the startup directly after this a few minutes later. Excuse the loud exhaust blow the secondary air link pipe wasn't fitted as I am removing this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CiksjON728

Success at last. It runs!!! I have definitely missed this noise!

So this is where I am currently at. I need to continue refitting ancillaries like water pump, power steering pump, tensioners and aux belt. I also need to finish the LPG system too. Then it's MOT time and I can start enjoying it again.

More updates soon...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Fantastic effort......are you marking all the bolts so you know they are all torqued?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

V8 00USH

Post by V8 00USH » Sat May 19, 2018 8:47 am

I'll be honest I'm not - although I am thorough when it comes to that kind of  thing, as in I know which ones I've done and not done. Besides....there would be about 5 sets of lines the amount of times I've had things off and on!!

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat May 19, 2018 9:42 am

Brilliant write up, thoroughly enjoying this, almost as good as a Cornwell Novel.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

V8 00USH

Post by V8 00USH » Sun May 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Quick update before I head back down to the garage to carry on with the X5.

Blanked off the secondary air system yesterday which meant the exhaust blow was removed. It was at that point I realised it wasn't running right - lumpy and throttle not as responsive as I remembered it was....even though that was well over a year ago.

I found that the cylinders on bank 1 weren't firing properly - smooth running values on all those 4 cylinders according to my Snap On scanner, cylinder 1 being the worst at around 8/9 @ idle. Basically that means there's misfires. The exhaust wasn't even getting hot on that side as opposed to bank 2 being red hot so proper combustion isn't occuring as it should.

Dug out my laptop and INPA so hopefully should have answers shortly. Gut reaction is vanos issues but I really hope I'm wrong.

It's certainly making me work for my first drive!!!

V8 00USH

Post by V8 00USH » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:01 pm

I need to get round to updating this post - so much has gone in in the past 10 weeks or so with regards the X5 its actually ridiculous.....I could write a book!

I'll try and update soon....

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:58 am

Still a work in progress ?
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

V8 00USH

Post by V8 00USH » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 pm

E53 X5s are always work in progress  :)) :))

Still haven't had had an hour or so to update this post properly however I can quickly update I have now done 4500 miles in it since the rebuild so it's not all bad!  8)

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Great news.

No rush for pictorial ......as & when.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:51 pm

I had forgot that and I read every page as well, really good thread, proper job done.