Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exhaust smoke in engine bay

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Wafoo

Exhaust smoke in engine bay

Post by Wafoo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:56 am

I've changed the EGR and main thermostats as I had a low temperature reading and on rebuild I've a exhaust gas leakage somewhere
I had the EGR cooler off and turbo pipe but wondering if I've missed one, the pipe to the turbo was suspiciously easy to get off, is it really just a push on with no clamp?

Fralker

Re: Exhaust smoke in engine bay

Post by Fralker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:17 am

I have X5 right now, some time ago I drove tata tigor but it got old and I sold it, by the way, the model is great as well but if to speak about X5, I had the same problem with X5 half a year ago and when I brought my car to a maintenance service, they said I need to calibrate the engine or something like that!
Last edited by Fralker on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:40 am

[quote="Fralker"]
I have X5 right now, some time ago I drove tata tigor but it got old and I sold it, by the way, the model is great as well but if to speak about X5, I had the same problem with X5 half a year ago and when I brought my car to a maintenance service, they said I need to calibrate the engine or something like that!
[/quote]

WTF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marti

Post by marti » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 am

[quote="Wafoo"]
I've changed the EGR and main thermostats as I had a low temperature reading and on rebuild I've a exhaust gas leakage somewhere
I had the EGR cooler off and turbo pipe but wondering if I've missed one, the pipe to the turbo was suspiciously easy to get off, is it really just a push on with no clamp?
[/quote]

Check on www.realoem.com  get the part number for that pipe, google the part number and you will get images of that pipe and see if it should have a clip, most of the modern pipes Ive fitted / removed have a spring clip, apart from that...did you fit a new gasket when you did the EGR...then there is the possibility you have a crack in the exhaust manifold if its stainless steel....had 7 in my old X5 and found a cast iron one on ebay....

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:51 am

[quote="Fralker"]
[/quote]

Er....l ???
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:29 pm

[quote="marti"]
[quote="Wafoo"]
[/quote]

Check on www.realoem.com  get the part number for that pipe, google the part number and you will get images of that pipe and see if it should have a clip, most of the modern pipes Ive fitted / removed have a spring clip, apart from that...did you fit a new gasket when you did the EGR...then there is the possibility you have a crack in the exhaust manifold if its stainless steel....had 7 in my old X5 and found a cast iron one on ebay....
[/quote]

Yeah been on there, it just shows the pipe no clip, and looking at the pipe it looks like there's not one there
I'll jack it up this afternoon and have a look from underneath

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Found the culprit, the exhaust gas cooler convuluted pipe to the manifold had split in half, wondered why the turbo was sluggish.....

marti

Post by marti » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:07 am

Well done :)