Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Window regulator and vinyl wrap

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
themoog

Window regulator and vinyl wrap

Post by themoog » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 am

Sorry the title is a bit odd..
First- my X5 has the silver highlight interior trim pieces and I am bored with them. I fancy doing a spot of vinyl wrap to update it a bit. Choices are - pretend carbon gloss, pretend carbon Matt or plain black Matt. I've just installed an M3 steering wheel which has the bottom part in Matt black so may go the same. What do you think?

Second- my driver window seems to have a it of 'slack' in its operation i.e. the motor runs slightly before the window moves. It's like the cable isn't tight or something. Before I take it too bits, is there something that can be adjusted to tighten it up?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Window regulator and vinyl wrap

Post by henrym3 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Thankfully the vinyl wrap is cheap, did mine in carbon thought it would be easier than it was. Watched the usual utub videos where it all looks very easy, I found it quite difficult to get a finish that I was happy with, especially round the sharper edges. As usual the last one was easy which made me wonder why I made such an arse of the first one. Really like the result.
As for the window, it’s only secured in to the mechanism with one screw through one hole in the glass, a supriseingly large hole, if the screw became loose it would allow the motor to run a bit till the screw hits the top of the hole, going up and the bottom of the hole coming down. If that’s not understandable I can take some pics tomorrow as I have a mechanism and glass in my shed and as they say "a picture paints a thousand words"
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:49 pm

Wrapping is like wallpapering, your just getting good at it by the last piece, makes you want to strip it all off and start again, which is ok as the material is cheap.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

themoog

Post by themoog » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:50 am

Ive looked at the centre console removal to wrap the top part and it looks like a right load of hassle. I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for that..

themoog

Post by themoog » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:43 am

About the window.. Ive bought some regulator sliders and some clips so I'll take it apart at the weekend to see where the slack is. Anyone got any ideas first?

themoog

Post by themoog » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Right. Fixed. The clips holding the cable to the slider were worn and when the window was moved up or down they were rotating thus giving the impression of slack in the cable. New set installed all good although I have my doubts as to how long they will last asthe y don't seem as well made as the old ones..

marti

Post by marti » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Time will tell...nothing is made as good as it was!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:30 pm

I think the more expensive the vinyl wrap the easier it is to fit ,might be worth getting a pro to do it and you just remove the bits and take them along , could maybe do it in very little time and far better than a beginner could  :)