Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jerking/clunk noise in lower gears increase in revs help!?

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Chreesy

Jerking/clunk noise in lower gears increase in revs help!?

Post by Chreesy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi guys,

Recently got a x3 2007 xdrive 2.0 diesel. Been having issues with the car in lower gears when accelerating it jumps around 1700 rpm up to 2000rpm in 1/2/3 gear typically.

Fine at high speeds on motorways etc.

So far I’ve had the rubber onring bearing changed to no change new discs and alloys/tyres.

Last week I cleaned out the egr/masf and engine intake with the cleaners but there’s still a kick in the revs and slight clunk underneath.

Took to garage yesterday and they replaced the glow plugs and took it out for a doc regeneration but wouldn’t kick in. No fault codes appear on dash only few ghost codes.
Now they want to replace the lambda (o2 sensor) and try again.

I’ve currentlt got a forte turbo cleanse in the fuel tank and purchased a doc doc clean when the tank runs empty.

Can’t seem to find similar issues on the web, engine running nice other than these kicks and clunks if anyone has had or has similarl issues would be grateful.

Thanks

Chris

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Jerking/clunk noise in lower gears increase in revs help!?

Post by Horizon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Incorrect tyre conbination, mismatched rolling circumference is the usual cause, this may have damaged your transfer box already, is it an Msport or SE, ( same width/ profile tyres front and rear, or staggered setup ) Star marked ?
Had issues with mine , sorted tyres, problem sorted. The X3 is hyper sensitive to tyre circumference.
And welcome to the forum
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Chreesy

Post by Chreesy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi,thanks for the quick reply! After doing some diggin in here I seen there’s an issue with different tyres. I have 2 same Pirelli at front and a hankook (forgive spelling if wrong) and continental on the rear deeper dish wheels.
They’re staggered wheels at back with 225 or 235/50/18 tyre sizes all 4.

It’s a 2.0 diesel xdrive need to see about switching over tyres. Need to all be the same make or can double up front and back to match? Not sure if mines are starred need to check in morning.

I seen a post about removing fuse 26 which I just went out and tried. The abs light came on drove around the block apart from a slight lack of power (understandable) the jerking and revs bumping gone!

Is it worthwhile replacing 26 (5 amp) or too late now or is it a full fuse box replacement? Was going to nip down grab some 5s tomorrow. Put the 5 back in fault lights went back off and noises are back again.

Thanks for the welcome as well!
Last edited by Chreesy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chreesy

Post by Chreesy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 am

Quick update, managed to get some new fuses to try in place of the 26 and 9 where the drive-trains are noted one of the fuses a 56(ish) is blank so replaces the other 2 but still clunking.

Need to look into changing the tyres over, I had other wheels on them just last week and thought they might be buckled with the noise and shaking.

Since then its had a new brake disk put on and the wheels balanced but the juddering is still there.

I'm thinking about changing the fuse box over first if the last set of wheels maybe have ruined the box before changing over all the tyres.

What sizes would you guys recommend for staggered alloys? Currently have all same size but mixed manufacturers as post above. Cheers

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 am

Forget new fuses you have proved the fault.
It is the transfer box.
GET THE TYRES SORTED ASAP.
You could really do with 4 new and the correct size as if you have got staggered wheels then the 4 tyres you have now if all the same size are wrong.
The fault is well discussed on the forum if you do a search.
It is down to the wrong tyres and it is your transfer box at fault.
If you can't get the tyres sorted today DON'T drive it till you can and only to the tyre centre and you might be lucky and get away with out having a few K bill. 

Chreesy

Post by Chreesy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 am

Ok will do alan thanks will get all 4 stripped same make and bmw approved etc hopefully sorts the problems without any further repairs. Thanks for your help will keep you all posted. Cheers
Last edited by Chreesy on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am

How long ago did you acquire the car? As I would be chasing the seller if a recent purchase.
Did you do a search on here re faults to look out for ? : staggered tyre set ups, star rated tyres.
Just shows how much research needs to be done.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Chreesy

Post by Chreesy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi Lez,

I got the car from boss so i need to tread carefully! Ha. I got the car mot'd when I got it and the garage has fitted 2 new front tyres and brake pads I'll need to check the tyres they have on the originals.

When I got the upgraded wheels I asked they put more depth on them as they were 35 & 40 deep low profiles but having checked this issue on here now and the advice I can see they have put 55s across the board with same widths.

Wish I had looked for forums sooner just expect as its an older x3 the forums arent as active.

Going to go out and check behind the alloys see what rim size they are and order to suit.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm

If you have genuine BMW wheels then the correct tyre sizes are on the tyre pressure plate.  Do not fit anything else but the correct sizes with the correct weight rating (also stated on the plate).  Changing the profile will also upset the speedo as well as the transmission.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Chreesy

Post by Chreesy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi guys,

Quick update went today got correct tyre sizes fight on the wheels I had but still very subtle jerking I need to take original wheels over let them have a look make sure they are ok and get correct tyres put on them also and refit to suit.

Neighbour is doing a cheap service for me got all the correct oil/fluid replacements for tranny box engine etc. He’s already replaced the prop shaft donut underneath as it was bit worn the other week. Just seen bradders post below mines in the grass saying his stuttering was helped with change of fluid, can put money on the last owner didn’t do it since I seen the mess the air filter was in when I changed them out the other week.

Worst case scenario now is to get tranny box looked st and or the driveshafts all bearings are still looking decent.

Has been a case of trial and error if I had just jumped on here quicker to check then it would have saved a lot of hassle and time/money. Hopefully get this sorted this week and she’ll be good to go.
Last edited by Chreesy on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yes_its_neil

Post by yes_its_neil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:48 pm

If you haven't done so already, I would get the transfer case adaptions reset, especially if the noise is more obvious when turning. This can be done using DIS or INPA.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:21 am

[quote="yes_its_neil"]
If you haven't done so already, I would get the transfer case adaptions reset, especially if the noise is more obvious when turning. This can be done using DIS or INPA.
[/quote]
And Foxwell nt510.

Chreesy

Post by Chreesy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:54 am

Hi guys,

Sorry not been on for an update have had other small issues with the car recently and busy with work.

Quick update the tyres sorted the clunking however there was still small pinging noise occasionally when turning so could have that looked at.

I got all the trans fluid etc changed and was all good but had other small issues like the coolant leaking slowly which I have posted about in other thread.

Woke this morning to find all the lights on that the xdrive has failed. (Handbrake Light ABS light etc etc) Noticed as well its went from 40/42 mpg to 35.2 and falling the last few weeks.

I'm getting to the point shes not worth much more money getting spent, only downside is my credit isn't the best so may have to be a run about till get a new lease sorted hopefully next year. :headbang: