Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

how to replace window washer jets

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
steve burnett

how to replace window washer jets

Post by steve burnett » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 am

Has anyone replaced the washer jet system on an E70 X5. BMW want £80 for the part. If I go down that route I'd rather fit it myself but looking at the jets I don't know how they are fitted.
Problem is I have very little water coming though, had the same on my E87 and just replaced the washer jets (problem fixed).
Any help or pointers would be good. I have looked at: https://preview.tinyurl.com/y8svvczr but it does seem to show joints in the system etc (unless it goes all the way onto the water tank itself).

Thanks

Moley

Re: how to replace window washer jets

Post by Moley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Just thought I'd post this up...
My windscreen washer jets  were blocked and just put out a dribble of water when activated.
I tried everything to unblock them. I took them off  tried a piece of wire , then tried compressed air to blow them out.  But nothing worked. 
So I phoned up BMW to order new ones .
You could have picked me off the floor when they told me the price £72 +vat  EACH !!!!
I managed to get a set from a breakers yard for £20
Now they are working perfectly . Happy days.

Moley

Post by Moley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:45 pm

There are small grey clips that you just open a bit and then turn to get the pipes off.
The washer jets just pull out with a bit of force if I remember correctly.  Then replace with new ones

Pat Mustard

Post by Pat Mustard » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:51 pm

Before buying anything you need to check the little filter on the bottom of the washer pump . PITA to get at but could be your problem if it's blocked,

Pat Mustard

Post by Pat Mustard » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 pm

You can see the ones I mean.

Pat Mustard

Post by Pat Mustard » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Moley

Post by Moley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:12 am

I was going to do that, but when you take the pipes off the washer jets you should pull the leaver to operate the washers and see how much water comes out.
This will show if it's just the jets that are knackered.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:18 am

It is worth cleaning out the washer reservoir and filters anyway.
Some washer additives are not very good and make a jelly mix which clogs the washer filters.
Lidl washer additive is very good (was £5 per 5litre last year) ,I,ve never had a problem with it, also the BMW stuff is good , but I do not know price.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

ssrfr03

Post by ssrfr03 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:32 am

Had the same my headlamp washers didn’t work so I brought a new pump from eBay and 3filters from bmw think it was £5 each ,
Pump was ok filters were blocked from cheap shitty windscreen fluid oh and what a crap job getting your washer bottle out ??? Great design bmw !