Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacement Tyres for X5

NACY74

Replacement Tyres for X5

Post by NACY74 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Picked up my “new” 66 plate X5 40d 2 weeks ago.  One of the tyres is seriously under the 3mm BMW approved standard.  In fact it’s just legal and no more.  I could be in serious trouble if the police were to decide otherwise.

Should the dealership be replacing all four tyres, or just the two on that axle?  The other tyres are 4mm depth.  I’m reading issues about potential transfer case if tyre depths vary too much but not sure of official BMW standard.

Car is obviously in warranty.

I’m considering all season run flat tyres....any recommendations welcome!

Thanks in advance,

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Replacement Tyres for X5

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:08 pm

They’ll only replace the bad tyre.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Dealer measurements are notoriously generous as I discovered when I bought an MX-5 in the summer. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a full set of 4 that should do me 4 years or so.

My experience of the X5 in snow is that winter tyres are essential. I was considering all season for m6 upcoming Vitara but while they have good all ro7nd performance, they lack sideways aquaplaning which doesn’t sound that healthy to me. Have a look at auto express website under the accessory and tyre testing.
X5 xDrive 30D M Sport (F15)

wyorksf15

Post by wyorksf15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:58 pm

I purchased a 2015 plate X5 a few months ago 'approved used' from BMW and the car had the same tyre wear.

3mm fronts - they agreed to change
4mm rears - they would not change advising 3mm is the trigger

Maybe some good negotiation could get all 4 replaced! Or even offer to pay 50/50

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:33 pm

[quote="NACY74"]
Picked up my “new” 66 plate X5 40d 2 weeks ago.  One of the tyres is seriously under the 3mm BMW approved standard.  In fact it’s just legal and no more.  I could be in serious trouble if the police were to decide otherwise.

Should the dealership be replacing all four tyres, or just the two on that axle?  The other tyres are 4mm depth.  I’m reading issues about potential transfer case if tyre depths vary too much but not sure of official BMW standard.

Car is obviously in warranty.

I’m considering all season run flat tyres....any recommendations welcome!

Thanks in advance,
[/quote]

Looking at selling all 4 of my 20” Dunlop’s to replace with non runflats if you’re interested?

7mm fronts and 6mm tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:12 pm

[quote="Digidick"]

[/quote]

You’ll get over them  :))
X5 xDrive 30D M Sport (F15)

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:17 pm

[quote="bobgolden"]
[quote="Digidick"]

[/quote]

You’ll get over them  :))
[/quote]

Lol!!

7mm REARS!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:39 pm

[quote="wyorksf15"]
I purchased a 2015 plate X5 a few months ago 'approved used' from BMW and the car had the same tyre wear.

3mm fronts - they agreed to change
4mm rears - they would not change advising 3mm is the trigger

Maybe some good negotiation could get all 4 replaced! Or even offer to pay 50/50
[/quote]

your a lucky boy..!!  when I picked my approved X5 up with 3mm but only in middle, stratstones Derby would not replace even after car had been to another dealership and had a health check and also found 1 tyre perished.!! Even BMW was no help for me just saying get in touch with them, which I did but they do nothing, oh apart from lost all my business now.!
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

NACY74

Post by NACY74 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 pm

I've ordered up an 18" winter wheels and tyres package from my local dealership, with a fair contribution from the dealership I bought the X5 from.

I'm happy with the contribution but still annoyed the dealer put me on the road with minimal tread.  Got to watch them very carefully!

Now time to sell my winter wheels package for my old 320i tourer.

X5Nelz

Post by X5Nelz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:20 pm

When i bought my X5 a few months back , i pulled them up over a low tire on the rear and told the salesman that i new about the situation that all the tires should be of a similar depth.

When i went back to pick the car up a few days later it had 4 new tires fitted. Of which i sold on Ebay and put NRF on