Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

fault codes weak cranking

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Edgey

fault codes weak cranking

Post by Edgey » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 pm

hi all im new to the forum and also new to the x5 world
I bought a 2005 3.0d sport from a garage 3 months ago and within a few days noticed it had a very slow cranking in the mornings but it'd be fine for the rest of the day . i put this down to battery needing to be replaced and seen as winter was on its way bought a new one but within days it was doing the same thing.
after scrolling through here i noticed alot on battery drain so tried pulling the stereo fuse as some suggested but hasn't helped . read more and noticed about the starter motor problems which seem to suggest it could be that , trouble is now the car won't start at all even a fully charged battery isn't getting it to crank at a decent speed and i'm stuck without a car .

i've just had someone hook it up to a diagnostic machine and it says all the glow plugs are faulty , mechanic seems certain thats the trouble but would that cause the slow cranking ?
any help would be appriciated i'm already in the bad books with the wife for getting rid of the jeep patriot i gave in px  :blink:

R515

Re: fault codes weak cranking

Post by R515 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi, mine has a code for all 6 glow plugs and starts fine, think you have another problem. Planning on changing the glow plug controller unless all 6 are actually faulty.

Regards, Mark.

Edgey

Post by Edgey » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:20 pm

[quote="R515"]
Hi, mine has a code for all 6 glow plugs and starts fine, think you have another problem. Planning on changing the glow plug controller unless all 6 are actually faulty.

Regards, Mark.
[/quote]

cheers mark I don't mind replacing plugs and controller but I need it back on the road asap so if they aren't the problem i'll deal with them in a week or 2 .
I can't see how glow plugs would draw so much power there isn't enough to turn the engine over ? he's coming back tomorrow hopefully to test what the starter reading so hopefully i'll be able to narrow it down .I bought this one thinking i'd have no problems with it having low mileage (82k) and only 2 owners with fsh , would glow plugs and starter be covered in a engine and gearbox warrenty ?

marti

Post by marti » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Sounds like a lazy starter, easy to change the glow plug relay on an e53 its located in the ebox.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Starter motor.  Well known issue on 3-litre diesels.  Had both my E53 and E46 done.  Any auto electrician with a current clamp will be able to check it.  The starter should not draw more than 180A, if it does then it is on it’s way out.

My E53 drew 900A+ which killed the battery, and the E46 drew 500A+ which gave two starts before needing a recharge.

Magneti-Marelli starters were a known problem brand back then.  Change it for a Bosch.  ECP sell them service exchange.  You will need eTorx bits to get the very tight bolts out.

Instructions are on newtis(dot)info.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Edgey

Post by Edgey » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:59 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Starter motor.  Well known issue on 3-litre diesels.  Had both my E53 and E46 done.  Any auto electrician with a current clamp will be able to check it.  The starter should not draw more than 180A, if it does then it is on it’s way out.

My E53 drew 900A+ which killed the battery, and the E46 drew 500A+ which gave two starts before needing a recharge.

Magneti-Marelli starters were a known problem brand back then.  Change it for a Bosch.  ECP sell them service exchange.  You will need eTorx bits to get the very tight bolts out.

[/quote]

thanks @X5Sport

I figured as much , i'll have to get it recovered to the garage , I've not got the time or tools to do it myself I've not worked on a car for years and having to use public transport till its fixed is going to kill me  :( i'm in north wales and its not the best service  :))

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:42 am

[quote="Edgey"]
[quote="X5Sport"]

[/quote]

thanks @X5Sport

I figured as much , i'll have to get it recovered to the garage , I've not got the time or tools to do it myself I've not worked on a car for years and having to use public transport till its fixed is going to kill me  :( i'm in north wales and its not the best service  :))
[/quote]
Nothing wrong with the busses in North Wales that's why i have 2 cars lol.

Edgey

Post by Edgey » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:51 am

[quote="Alan Gunn"]
[quote="Edgey"]
[quote="X5Sport"]

[/quote]

thanks @X5Sport

[/quote]
[/quote]

I’ve just sold the wife’s corsa as it wasn’t being used

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:09 pm

[quote="Edgey"]
[quote="Alan Gunn"]
[quote="Edgey"]
[quote="X5Sport"]

[/quote]

thanks @X5Sport

[/quote]
[/quote]

I’ve just sold the wife’s corsa as it wasn’t being used

Edgey

Post by Edgey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:54 pm

I’ve finally got her back after 3 days in the garage hopin the mechanic got time to sort it and as expected it was the starter motor .

The garage I bought it from won’t cover the cost of it OR the glow plugs and controller . His excuse is he’s ceased trading which is funny seen as he has a lot full of cars and is still adverting them  :blink:

He’s even gone so far as blocking me on his Facebook page after me giving an honest review of his customer service  :))

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Time to talk to Trading Standards then.  Might have ‘ceased trading’ under that name but back as something else, same director, same site.... >:(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Edgey

Post by Edgey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Time to talk to Trading Standards then.  Might have ‘ceased trading’ under that name but back as something else, same director, same site.... >:(
[/quote]

Tbh I can’t be arsed , I posted a review on his page and it’s already cost him 3 sales  :))
He deleted it and blocked me but it was too late  , karma and all that lol

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Name and shame time ??.

wpoll

Post by wpoll » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:52 am

marti wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:21 pm Sounds like a lazy starter, easy to change the glow plug relay on an e53 its located in the ebox.
The glow plug relay is NOT so easy to change on the LCI cars (2004-2006) - and it's no longer a relay but a smart controller and it's now mounted to the side of the engine block under the intake manifold.

Still worth changing along with all six glow plugs if the system is old. Just not so easy but the intake manifold is off anyway (for accessing the glow plugs).