Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aggravating rather than catastrophic

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Chip

Aggravating rather than catastrophic

Post by Chip » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi
First, thanks for allowing me in.
I brought my x5 in may it is an E70 2007 3.0D
I love it everything about it I find great Exept!!
The clock keeps losing time and I can’t reset it through the I control button as the button does not work when I press it, therefore I can’t access
Settings in main menue this is the same in the
Other items climate control etc I can rotate up down left right but the press function does not work.ECCEPT!! I am convinced that when the ambient temperature is high it has some effect as during very hot weather is when I have got it to work . I have done research of how sensitive these
Can be to battery voltages so I have had the battery checked out and a check done by my BMW main dealer who said all is fine and I will lose some functions if battery goes low. This does not explain the I button intermittently playing up now it’s cold wether I can’t get it to work at all when pressing. A little long winded I admit, all I seem to find is info saying the battery is at fault. I know it’s possible I have 2 faults here. Over to any one who may give me some clues before I part with big quids.
Thank a lot
Bob

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Aggravating rather than catastrophic

Post by Leslie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:32 pm

The clock losing time would be a warning sign the voltage is dropping off during a start if that's when it occurs , really it's not easy to test a battery, sure it may pass today but it doesn't really guarantee it will last much longer or even start tomorrow .
Given the high cost of a battery Id be tempted to keep a close eye on it for now as the colder spell will soon test how good it is :D Maybe try giving it a full charge if you do a lot of short runs and see if that makes a difference ?
Not sure why you can't set the clock but just check the manual to be sure you are doing it right as you can only set things when it certain menu's as I have found .

Chip

Post by Chip » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks Leslie
I’ve given the battery a real good charge a couple of times but with no success.
Everything seems to work fine apart for the damn clock and I can’t reset it now as I can’t get the I control button so access the settings menu. Do you think my main problem could be a I control button fault?
Thanks chip (Bob)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:16 pm

If you can't select anything them sounds like the controller knob is faulty , I see a repair service on Ebay for £40 of your own unit so cheap enough to fix. :D