Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fog Light Failure

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
luckynumber37

Fog Light Failure

Post by luckynumber37 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:29 am

Hi all,

I'm aware of the fact that this is my second post and both have been very simple queries but you guys just give very straight, accurate answers!

I'm getting the 'Rear Left Fog Light Failure' warning and after two trips to halfords and many new bulbs later, have been unable to solve the seemingly simple problem. My next thought was that it would be a fuse but i'm struggling to identify which one i should replace.

Is this the right thing to do and can someone tell me which fuse it is i need to replace?

Thanks all,
Luckynumber37

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fog Light Failure

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:24 am

Fuses are:  8, 13, 16, 24, 66, 101, 141.  All cover various lighting circuits as they go via the lighting control module.

I haven't seen a reference to a specific fog light fuse on the fuse card copies I have.  It might be faulty wiring or a bad connector (corroded due to water ingress).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Huxsta

Post by Huxsta » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:27 pm

If it was mine and you've already tried a new bulb, I would be inclined to remove the connector block of wires of the light unit, spray the terminals and the inside of the plug with wd40 or similar and push it on and take it off a few times to reseat the connections. Also look into the bulb holder and do the same. Normally that will cure this sort of message. Failing that then I'd look into the fuse board area to do the same with the relevant fuse(s) Good luck and remember to post up what you think cured it (hopefully) so to help the rest of us.

bmwguy

Post by bmwguy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:57 pm

[quote="Huxsta"]
If it was mine and you've already tried a new bulb, I would be inclined to remove the connector block of wires of the light unit, spray the terminals and the inside of the plug with wd40 or similar and push it on and take it off a few times to reseat the connections. Also look into the bulb holder and do the same. Normally that will cure this sort of message. Failing that then I'd look into the fuse board area to do the same with the relevant fuse(s) Good luck and remember to post up what you think cured it (hopefully) so to help the rest of us.
[/quote]

Hey Huxsta...I have the same issue on mine. Did you figure out a solution in the end?

ommis

Post by ommis » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:36 pm

Getting the same message up on my car .. rear left fog light .. but it is working
Any more ideas

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Not been changed for LED?

It could be higher than normal resistance (often caused by corrosion on the holder) during the cold lamp check - which will trigger a warning, or if LEDs then the resistance is too low and the system is thinking there’s a short circuit.

celica

Post by celica » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:46 am

I have the same issue on my 2008 pre lci
Rear left fog light failure sign ping up

But when pressing the fog button and checking the light works!?

How did you get to the bulb?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Have a look at newtis[dot]info as it has the TIs for all of our cars :)

celica

Post by celica » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:53 am

Newtis (dot) info? What is that?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:24 pm

It’s the web address - remove the [dot] and replace with a full stop.