Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help..... Water, water everywhere.....

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
wilsbrough

Help..... Water, water everywhere.....

Post by wilsbrough » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi.

So long story short (ish), a few weeks back I had a few strange electrical issues that somehow sorted themselves out. (yeah right.... :D ) And I had not given it any more thought. However today when I went to go out I had a flat battery, not that this was an issue other than an annoyance as its winter, I get up in the dark, get home in the dark, lights, radio, heater etc, and somewhat foolishly leave my dashcam plugged in 24/7 just in case I get hit when parked up. So went to get the battery out to charge it overnight. This is when I find out my battery is sitting in about an inch of water?? this appears to not be new as some of the area was rusted, and a few terminals in this water. (possibly the cause of the electrical issues previously stated.

So I tried to see where this water had come from. my boot seal is not damaged or cracked/perished in any way, I then noticed the nearside boot lining seemed wet and popped it off to were the dvd nav system is located and in the well beneath was about 4 inches of sitting water, so the checked the offside area opposite, and again was about 2 inches of water inside...!

Can anyone please help with a few pointers to where this has come from, as its been in the garage latley and had in my opinion a small fortune spent on it for other things, and tbh just cant afford to send it in again for this....

The car does have the panoramic roof, but i thought the drainage holes went to the front of the car, and the front footwell is dry, so i assume they are not blocked.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Help..... Water, water everywhere.....

Post by X5Sport » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Sunroof drains are common sources, they block and the water leaks into the boot. Other possibles are the rear light cluster seals which are known to fail (bad foam).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Post by marti » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:31 pm

As X5Sport has said more than likely sunroof drains....get a length of strimmer twine melt the end so not sharp...use some warm soapy water, pour down channels and push twine gently up and down each of the drain holes until they clear....

wilsbrough

Post by wilsbrough » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks for the help.

Just to add, I managed to siphon most of the water out and had a further look around. Are there any drain hole in those area that also maybe blocked? And regarding the source of the water, i noticed that the dvd nav system which is fixed say halfway up the rear quarter is also wet. that being said would you think the water is more likely to be from the taillights as opposed to the sunroof?

If it is the taillights, what is the solution? Do i have to buy the seal from BMW? Or could i just remove the light cluster and refit using silicone to give a good seal?

Thanks again.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:22 pm

New seals will be needed. If you silicone them you may struggle to remove or correctly tighten them. Have a look at Realoem (BMW parts list on line and use the last 7 of your VIN to pull up your model) to get the part numbers and have a hunt on line.

Never had an X3 so can’t help about the drains - sorry
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Post by marti » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:49 pm

When you fit the new seals, smear some silicone grease on them.....NOT builders silicone

wilsbrough

Post by wilsbrough » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks for the assist.

Tho, just to add (again). I have noticed there is some sort of plastic ledge that has some sort of foam inside that sits about 5 inches above the sat nav box. This is saturated with water, but is above the rear tail light, so for this to be wet, i would have assumed it can not be the taillights now? Any other areas to think of too? As i thought for the sunroof drains to be blocked the water would be at the bottom of the car first and work its way up. Annoyingly due to work and not having a driveway/garage available, its the weekend before i can have a proper look.

Thanks again.