Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cherished number

General car related chat
Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Cherished number

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:04 am

Anybody help with this one.
I am taking a car off the road to sell it but i want my number.
Do i take the number off then SORN the car or SORN the car then take the number off.
I need to put it on retention until i get the new car it's going on in my name.
Any idea what i should do.

StuBeeDoo

Re: Cherished number

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:26 am

These days the transfer system is retention-based. Even if you want to move the number between two cars you already own it has to go on retention in the first instance - even if it's only for the five minutes the online transfer takes. IIRC (never had need to SORN a car myself) as long as the donor car is MOT'd you can retain the plate with the car on SORN.

HTH
Stuart.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

silverbeemersurfer

Post by silverbeemersurfer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Just log onto DVLA website, they have full, simple instructions there.
Costs £80 to place on retention but nothing to re-assign to new vehicle. The original reg number must be assigned to your old vehicle. Very quick and easy to do.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:19 pm

The car that the number is on at the moment is in my name but up for sale shortly.
Car i want to put it on is not in my name yet.
I know i will have to put it on retention just don't know what to do first sorn the car and then take the number off or take the number off then sorn it.
Don't know how the road tax will work if you get what i mean.

silverbeemersurfer

Post by silverbeemersurfer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Providing that your present car is currently taxed, just put your private plate on retention and fit original number as the VED continues to be valid, regardless of the reg number. I think that the car does not have to be taxed to change your plates. I believe you will only need to SORN your car if it is not currently taxed.
As I said just visit DVLA website for info.

marti

Post by marti » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Last time I did this the car (my one I was selling) had to be taxed and mot'd, then I changed the plates over to my new car, my old one then reverted to its original plates then I put it on SORN.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Just decided to put it on retention online and it came back saying i had to do it by post.
The reason it said was it had a period of 90 days or more untaxed in the last 5 years ????????????? i have had it 5 years and always been taxed.
The car was taxed as Disabled for 4 years then last year it went as a "diesel car" at £250 a year and not due till next June.
So the form cheque for £80 and the v5 are in the post just have to wait until the new year now.
Also i have done the sorn.
Just hope i don't lose the number as had it for years and got the next one to it as well on the x5.
:( :( :( :( :(

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Strange one but then it is the government you are dealing with and they usually try to over complicate everything :?

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am

Alan Gunn wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:48 pmThe reason it said was it had a period of 90 days or more untaxed in the last 5 years ????????????? i have had it 5 years and always been taxed.
The car was taxed as Disabled for 4 years then last year it went as a "diesel car"
Probably something to do with no (or reduced..?) funds being received while the car was on the disability scheme.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:23 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am
Alan Gunn wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:48 pmThe reason it said was it had a period of 90 days or more untaxed in the last 5 years ????????????? i have had it 5 years and always been taxed.
The car was taxed as Disabled for 4 years then last year it went as a "diesel car"
Probably something to do with no (or reduced..?) funds being received while the car was on the disability scheme.
That it what i was thinking so i put a note in with the form with the details/numbers for the disabled tax.
Fingers crossed just have a bit longer to wait with the xmas post and holidays.