Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to BMW

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
littleowl

New to BMW

Post by littleowl » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:58 am

Hi All

I've just part exed my C220 for a little X1 M Sport, the main reason being I live in the country and the conditions weren't great for the lowered suspension of my previous car, lovely though it was. I only picked up the X1 yesterday, and love it EXCEPT it's heavy steering at slower speeds and manoeuvres (it's first gen). I did test drive it a couple of times and thought it was a bit heavier than my car, but didn't really pick up on how much until I got it home and tried to turn it tightly on the yard. I take it that is just the nature of the beast, and hope I get used to it! I'm surprised though that modern cars even have that but as I said I'm new to BMW so perhaps it's a BMW thing with some models. I did test drive a 320d and that seemed normal.

Is there somewhere I can check the actual spec of the car as I'd like to know if it has servotronic? I've tried a few links I've found on the net but they don't seem to work for me.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: New to BMW

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:33 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I have a 320d and also an x5.
The steering in the 320d is so light compared to the x5 like it's not connected lol.
I think it's a trate of the X car's heavy steering but i soon got used to it.(love my x5)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:10 pm

The steering tends to be a little heavier in bmw's than some other makes but I'm sure its working otherwise the car would be undriveable ,check the front tyre pressures as if these are low it certainly won't help matters .
Welcome :D

littleowl

Post by littleowl » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks, I've got the runflats too so don't know if changing them to normal would help matters? I'm sure there's not a problem with it, just that all my previous cars for decades have had light steering so this came as a bit of a shock!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:23 am

Hello and :hi:

To get your build spec, go to somewhere like etkbmw on line. You only need the last 7 characters of your VIN :)

Parts data - for when you need them is at Realoem - again use the last 7. The site is a copy of the current BMW Dealer database.

Technical Instructions (think Haynes Manual) is at newtis.info.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Leslie wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:10 pm The steering tends to be a little heavier in bmw's than some other makes but I'm sure its working otherwise the car would be undriveable ,check the front tyre pressures as if these are low it certainly won't help matters .
Welcome :D
I find the steering on the X5 very light. Just test driven a Lexus RX for swapping my F10 and it’s steering was more heavier. My F10 has heavier steering though. I wonder if I’m missing something here. Does anyone want to test drive my car? Anyone up north .. west York’s ?