Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

should i repair or replace

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
dazzasgotav8

should i repair or replace

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:34 pm

it seems my audio system is slowly shutting down firstly i have no sound from the n/s/r door speaker which i am putting down to a faulty bm54 , but now the cd player is not reading any discs i have removed it and unplugged it given it a lucky rub but still no joy , so my question is should i just replace the whole system with an aftermarket head unit thats if theres one that is any good but i do like the features of the factory one , also i wont to add a sub so i am now thinking about having the bm54 repaired and upgraded ,as it seems used cd changers are cheap enough .Just wondering what others have done to improve the oem sound

mr angry

Re: should i repair or replace

Post by mr angry » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:49 pm

I fitted a parot bluetooth hands free kit but to be honest it wasnt worth the hassle as it has its own amp and its well ..... poor. If keeping the car I would upgrade\ repair the bm54 unit as the wiring in these things must account for a lot of the weight as theres miles of it.

I fitted a sub enclosure into tje boot with a seperate amp and that has made a big difference. The only problem is that the only source I currently have with the oem headunit is the radio.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:19 pm

You can get the amp repaired and upgraded by Cartronics. Well known by Forum members. Search for ‘Baris’ to see what others have found with him :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

briankerrys47

Post by briankerrys47 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi regards cd you could open it up slip a bit of silcone grease changing mechanism,worked for me :roll:

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:49 pm

yep think i will be taking the cd changer out again and pull it apart see whats going on inside

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:13 pm

fixed my cd changer it appears if you eject the cartridge and put it back in with a small amout of force it makes it work :rofl:

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:02 pm

now i am thinking with the problem with the bm54 and the faulty display i now have i cant really see the point in throwing money at the oem system but is there any good aftermarket upgrades worth spending money on, leaving me with no choice but to overhaul the oem .

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:29 pm

It has been a while since I worked on the oem audio system (so may be wrong here) but from memory if replacing, you will have a job with the wiring as the amp is in the boot and a replacement head unit will require wiring to the dash if you know what I mean.

I have seen may oem head units on Facebook and eBay recently for little money as many now being broken.

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:42 pm

i no what your saying about the wiring but i am looking at adding a sub at the moment and if i fit an aftermarket headunit i will be adding amps so will end up doing a load of wiring anyway so that does not bother me , my problem is do i spend money on repairing whats there with used parts or just bite the bullet and fit a new headunit as i have plenty of amps i can fit , i guess my other option is to replace my current display and then add a speaker to phono adapter and retain the oem display and cd changer .

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:31 pm

I assume then that you don’t have DSP fitted to your vehicle, At the current age of these vehicles the OEM system seems to suffer on going faults and there is now a fairly large choice of more modern equipment. It will be just as hard a decision as to what to put in as it is to change or not. Probably the most difficult bit is whether you can live without your OBC facilities, which you will loose when you remove the HU. Not like a MID which you can put in the glovebox and then still call up the OBC facilities. You will find people for and against, I liked the old system but found it seemed to be an on going money pit, so changed.Of course you probably know all this stuff.

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:56 pm

no dsp in my car think for now i might buy a replacement amp board to repair my bm54 and add some phono sockets while its apart so i can add a sub .