Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Serious sounding problem with engine

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
asoni

Serious sounding problem with engine

Post by asoni » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi guys,

The other day my brother was driving when the engine suddenly started making this horrible noise:

https://youtu.be/LTdWVaXxHN0

It's definitely coming from the engine.

Any ideas? I know it's hard to diagnose from an audio clip but just on the off chance.

Also, i have a pretty comprehensive warranty with warranty direct but just realised i have gone over the 12k annual mileage! Anyone have experience of claiming in such circumstance? I know these companies do anything to get out of paying so not holding my breath.
Last edited by asoni on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asoni

Re: Serious sounding problem with engine

Post by asoni » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Just noticed this video with very similar noise to mine, comment below suggest big end bearings :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tRbg_pBpPQ

marti

Post by marti » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:05 pm

Well sounds more like camshaft too me......do you have any smoke out the rear???...

marti

Post by marti » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Well sounds more like camshaft too me......do you have any smoke out the rear???...whats the oil level like....cant see why you have this if serviced as should be??

asoni

Post by asoni » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Yes been serviced as it should, last oil change was done in april and done around 10k miles since then.

Haven't checked rear for smoke but when i turned engine on today and removed oil cap, i did notice smoke or steam coming out.

At the moment, the suggestions are bearings, camshaft or timing chain.

I'm assuming all of these are pretty expensive fixes?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Best not turning it on or driving it any further, get it recovered to a garage for a proper diagnosis as you will possibly cause worse / more expensive damage. I think big ends is unlikely as its being serviced and assuming there is still plenty of oil in the engine . Id expect the oil light to be on too due to low oil pressure.

That second clip didn't really sound like big ends either as seems a bit too slow a knocking ,more a cam /tappet issue (IMO) but could be anything really best get it checked out asap.

asoni

Post by asoni » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks for the advice, will get it checked out as soon as the garages reopen!

asoni

Post by asoni » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:58 pm

Update

BMW suspected the injectors were the issue due to a fault code on them, so they changed them. Warranty direct agreed to cover it.

I knew the injectors themselves wouldn't be responsible for the noise the engine was making, but went with it.

Anyway lo and behold, engine noise still there.

They've done further investigating and now think that over injection has bent the con rods.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:12 pm

‘Over injection’ would make it run rich and give off loads of black smoke that even a DPF could not cope with.

You need a serious force to bend a rod - normally a piston impacting something or an ‘seizure’ at speed, or a timing issue. Bent rods would also reduce compression (depending upon how ‘bent’ they were) which in turn affects performance.

Be interesting to see what it actually is, but the current theory (IMHO as an engineer) doesn’t quite fit with no change in the engine other than a noise. I would have expected severe vibration as the engine balance changed due to the bending.

Keep an eye on WD as they don’t like paying for investigation work and hence leave you with a large bill!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

asoni

Post by asoni » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:23 pm

Thanks, i don't think it's con rod either but at least they are now opening engine and looking properly.

To be fair to WD they did authorise injectors very quickly and with little fuss, and for the full amount including diagnosis (about £1200).

They did say that if bmw have mis diagnosed it they reserve right not to pay out but to be fair i can't argue with that, after all why should they pay out for unnecessary work done by bmw due to mis diagnosis.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:38 pm

Absolutely. If they misdiagnose, they pay for it. Too often they (Dealers) foist it onto us, along with unnecessary parts change costs :x
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

asoni

Post by asoni » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Update

BMW took the engine apart and confirmed the 3 injectors had damaged con rods (maybe other bits as well), said there is small possibility of being able to repair damage but ideally it needs new engine.

Warranty Direct sent independent engineer to look at the car. He agreed with BMW that new engine is needed.

Warranty Direct have authorised this. Total cost of repair is £18.5k, however they will only pay out up to value of car which i already knew and understand. This is just under £15k, leaving me about £3.5k to pay.

I did hesitate when buying this warranty, as lot of negative comments about how they never pay out, do everything to get out of it etc. Decided to take a chance on it, cost £600 and it's now paying out almost £15k.

Warranty direct have also been completely hassle free to deal with and agreed the claim without any arguments.

Am now going to speak to BMW to see if i can get any discount on this work.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:26 pm

£18.5K to have a new engine fitted, seems very steep to me.

asoni

Post by asoni » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:31 pm

I've just spoken to BMW and they are looking at the costs, the service manager did think it was a bit high. He said engine is about £11k and they have already done injectors at about £1k.

Hopefully it will come down to around £15k which means i don't have to pay anything.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Bent conrods and damaged injectors sounds a bit like the old swirl flap issue were one broke off and trashed the engine :? The explanation they are giving doesn't seem very likely but I'm no export . I do think its mad they are paying the price of the car for just an engine though !