Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LPG on different engines

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Paulpen

LPG on different engines

Post by Paulpen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi guys - I did try searching but it seems the "LPG" is too short to be searched :(

It seems to be proven that the M series engines are quite happy running on lpg but what about the N series ?

I haven't seen any N series running lpg and didn't know wether that was more down to diesel taking off at that time or that the valvetronic system etc makes it a lot harder to run reliably ?

Basically I'm looking for a wide body E53 but want to stay away from diesel ideally but keep some efficiency !

marti

Re: LPG on different engines

Post by marti » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:56 pm

Well go for a petrol engine, if your concerned about fuel economy dont buy a big engined car....

Paulpen

Post by Paulpen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:46 pm

I wouldn't say I'm concerned but if you can have the best of both then why not ?

If on the other hand having the best of both destroys the engine then I'd quite like to know so I can avoid it ;)

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:49 pm

didnt realise there was such a thing as a wide body e53 :o but i do no you wont get a fuel efficent x5 petrol :)

Paulpen

Post by Paulpen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm classing the 20inch wheels and extended archs as wide body (4.6, 4.8, Le man's).

I only do 15 miles a week as use the motorbike to commute most days so not a mega issue more of a curiosity as not seen a single facelift with lpg !

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:30 pm

Is it possible that the tighter emissions regime makes it a challenge to fit LPG because of the sensors/engine maps or possibly the recent changed type approvals standards covering EU4 cars and newer? That and the average cost of £2k to put the system in may be discouraging potential customers. How long would it take to get a return on that? It seems that the UK Gov isn’t helping either, and is focussing on electric everything so not providing any incentives for conversion tech such as LPG.

There are fewer petrol powered BMWs about in the X5 family too, with the vast majority being oil burners. LPG is still cheaper, but the mpg and performance can suffer. I have also seen references on line to additional lubrication systems being needed on some modern engines (but not which ones) - perhaps the N-series BMW powerplants are affected?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 pm

right i see what you mean now , got to admit my next x5 will be a 4.8 in le mans blue i would of had one as my first but they where all miles away , i eneded up spotting the one i got now by accident and its your neck of the woods came from crewkerne , surely if your only doing low miles why the need for lpg .

Paulpen

Post by Paulpen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Not an actual NEED for it as such.

If a 4.6 popped up with lpg then I know it's a proven system.

If a 4.8 popped up with lpg then its a big unknown !

With diesel getting the shunt more and more from cities and the E53 diesel and M series petrols only being euro3 it makes the N series slightly more favourable looking forward.....

All just thoughts really - I'm prob after a 4.6 or a facelift 4.4 with the body kit 🙈

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:55 pm

i think there is a company in poland doing 4.8is bodykits not sure what the fit would be like , the only other thing i noticed when looking at x5s was alot of the 4.8 seem to have that horrible tan interior hence why i likes my one facelift black on black :D

Paulpen

Post by Paulpen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:39 am

Has to be a black interior as with my line of work anything else will show marks :cry:

Ive seen people fit the kits but tbh by the time you have brought them, painted the splittersm fitted it all and then brought wheels the base car would have to be very cheap to make it worth while :(

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Paulpen wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:17 pmI only do 15 miles a week as use the motorbike to commute most days
Are you planning on buying a car and then converting it, or looking for one with the conversion already done?
If buying & converting you'll never see your outlay back if you're only doing 15 miles a week. On that sort of mileage your petrol costs are going to be negligible.

I converted my E30 myself and managed to re-coup the outlay in just over a year, but in those days I was doing in excess of 15k miles a year. I wouldn't bother with LPG again, although I'm glad I did it the once.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Paulpen

Post by Paulpen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:35 pm

I'd not be converting so I be getting something with gas already on it or a le mans.

Never see an N series petrol with gas so will leave me at a 4.6 with lpg or a letter man's diesel in reality

kkx5

Post by kkx5 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:02 am

Got mine n62 converted 7 years ago. Never had an issue with it. Back then i paid £800 for lpg system. Drove Poland, there and back, twice, got all my money back. You can easy find a company which will fit Lpg on v8 for £1200 .....Saying that, would i buy 4.6is or 4.8is, such a old car, lpg or not...no I wouldn't. Stick with an 3.0d, if you like "wide" body, buy 3.0d Lemans edition.

Paulpen

Post by Paulpen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:17 pm

I think the decision of a 4.6 or Le man's works out about the same running costs really.

Bad on fuel but cheaper tax or good on fuel and more expensive tax so evens out in the end.

Saying that I'm not sure what got updated between the pre lci and end of the run other than aesthetics ?

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm

just my two pence worth apart from the X5 E53 facelift no other x appeals to me so my next vehicle will be a slightly newer higher specked one :)