Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

gearbox oil in F15

mark hamster 28

gearbox oil in F15

Post by mark hamster 28 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Afternoon all. Anyone had a gearbox oil change yet on this model ?? Ive read many posts on the E53 and E70 about changing oil at 60000 miles and some say don't and some say a must, and some say it cured a problem and some say it caused a problem...……?? Very interesting but confusing also, so to my question.! My F15 is coming up to 55000 miles and I think all is ok. So shall I just leave it (many say don't change if nothing broke) or get it done early or wait till 60000 miles IF ??? that's still the mileage they say to change on the 8speed box ? guessing its still the same box as the E70 8speed ? I do about 5000-6000 miles a year and guess I will have car for another 2 or 3 years yet so might be at 70000 miles max when it goes...answers on a post card to Xdrivers Forum F15 lol.... thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: gearbox oil in F15

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 pm

ZF recommend 6 years or 60,000 miles for the E70/71 with the same gearbox.

As to whether it is the right thing to do, that’s a debate all its own. I’ll get the X6 done as soon as I can afford it - almost £1k to do all of the transmission parts (box, transfer box, 2 diffs).

My view (for what jt’s worth) is that if the box is failing due to clutch/brake pack wear and the muck is holding it together then changing the oil could clean the muck out and.....bang.

If the box is OK generally (nice clean fluid) then changing it can only be for the good, and makes sound engineering sense.

Which box you have may depend upon what state the oil is in when you have a look. Very dirty and smelling burnt is a sure sign of trouble lying within.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.