Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stereo

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Colin772

Stereo

Post by Colin772 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi guys , I have bought x5 E70 40d , I have got all the bottons for satnav and phone , but nothing comes up on the screen . I don’t know if there are upgrades or maybe something disconnected , can anyone help .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Stereo

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Use the last 7 characters of your VIN to pull up the build spec for your car using an on line vin decoder. Since the changes with the GDPR rules, a lot no longer work, but this one seems to...

https://decoder.bvzine.com

Sat nav and phone were both cost options and even if the buttons are there, it doesn’t mean the options were fitted.

If the options are there then it could be a blown fuse as the Satnav system is built into the main computer. It could be a fault with the CIC main computer. If you have just bought it then I would take it back under warranty and ask for it to be fixed as these units are very expensive.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Colin772

Post by Colin772 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Thank you for replying . I have checked the build of the car and It didn’t show satnav or phone , so the original owner must not have ordered the extras . Can you change the units or is it more hassle than it’s worth.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:58 pm

You’ll need antennas plus modules (for the phone system) plus wiring looms plus coding to enable the functions in the CIC drive. The main computer (CIC) will probably some of the software and so licence keys are needed. These keys are generated from your VIN.

You would probably do just as well, possibly better, with a new Garmin/Tom Tom with real time traffic built in, and a Parrot (or similar) hands free kit.

You could also have a look at Realoem (BMW Parts database on line) and use the same VIN numbers to pull up your model. Then check the ‘Retrofittings’ area to see what might still be available. Upgrades will not be cheap, however it will tell you what is possible.

Colin772

Post by Colin772 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks again for your time👍

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Mods.....can you move this to the E70 area please.... :)