Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 E70 2010 Cranking won't start + emergency procedure issues

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
xted

X5 E70 2010 Cranking won't start + emergency procedure issues

Post by xted » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi all

I joined a while ago and often visit but don't really post.

This is a tale that will be of use to others I hope, who may find themselves having the same problems I have today.

I have a lovely 2010 Carbon Black 3.0D M Sport with only 40k on the clock. The car is still under 3rd party warranty and has been returned to the dealership today. The problem being it was driven today and parked at sons school then broke down.

When my wife returned to it, it simply cranked and did not fire. It has given no indication of any kind of fault whatsoever.

Green Flag were called, and arrived, said no codes were logged and could only take it to a garage. The screen in the vehicle gave the standard Engine fault see BMW display.

After a ridiculous wait Green Flag 's relay contractor arrived and then struggled to get the car onto the flat bed transporter. This was because you can't engage N on these cars without the engine running.

There is an emergency procedure but that exact procedure didn't work on mine as apparently BMW withdrew it in 2010. (It involves removing a cup holder, key unlocking a barrel like part and inserting the orange plastic tool from the boot through that hole into a further receptacle into the selector mechanism.

The relay guy used the internet and found that if you remove a splash shield on the gearbox? there is an allen key that does the same. This worked - POINT No1 TO REMEMBER.

By now though the battery was flat so they couldn't release the handbrake, again the orange tool was used to release that manually in the boot, only then could the car be loaded and delivered to the garage. POINT No2 TO REMEMBER

When delivered the garage said there is an alternative procedure to engage N, but i couldn't find it in the book, and after some time have found it on the internet, it involved a sequence of movements with the gear lever, my relay guy did try this but it didn't seem to work - (i am not confident he did this property tho). POINT No3 TO REMEMBER

It will not even be looked at for a day or so, so i will update with the fault / cause / repair next week, and hopefully this can be returned with the solution in future searches for other members

I have obviously googled the inter web and found a prime suspect could be the fuel pump relay in the boot - about £16 from BMW however let's wait to see!

Interested to see if anyone had a similar experience.

John

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: X5 E70 2010 Cranking won't start + emergency procedure issues

Post by Leslie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi and welcome :hi: Never a good day when they won't start and with a low mileage too .

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 pm

Welcome aboard and some good info in your post.

marti

Post by marti » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:50 pm

No a good thing to happen...be interested in the diagnosis / fix

xted

Post by xted » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi all

I unexpectedly got a call today. The car was repaired and collected a few hours ago.

The problem was diagnosed as a failed fuel pump - in the diesel tank. Apparently the fuel had ran out in the side with a working pump?, and the fuel in the other side wasn't being pumped.

The dealer - independent - has replaced the pump with an OE part, and also replaced some pipes, filters and bled the tanks. The total cost is not quite finalised, but its not far short of £1000 - the pump and parts alone were £671 from BMW

Luckily the excellent dealer i bought the car from in November 18 has covered the entire cost of the works, you really can't say fairer than that can you. I am very happy tonight! Hopefully this is the end of the chapter.

I suspected it was fuel starvation, now i(we) know the pumps fail it might just help someone else.

Regards

John

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Sounds like a result, especially with you not getting the bill too. :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:14 am

Glad you got it sorted out and reported back lol.