Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removing Window Trim

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Lyons

Removing Window Trim

Post by Lyons » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 am

Has anyone ever removed the aluminium window surrounds? I'm considering plasti-dipping them, and reckon it would be easier to remove them to do it rather than farting about trying to mask them off and doing in-situ.

Just depends if they are easily removed, or if they aren't really designed to be taken off and put back on? I've had a look online but can't find any useful info sadly.

Digidick

Re: Removing Window Trim

Post by Digidick » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 am

Have you thought about having them wrapped, mine are being done soon at a cost of 140 quid. I think they'll mark to easily if painted in any way.

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 am

I have, but its more of a hassle for time/logistics. At least I can spray them in my garage in my own time. I wouldn't really have the time to leave the car with someone to get them wrapped. I had the grill on my TTS wrapped and it is definitely a good job though. If I were able to remove the trims, then I may consider wrapping.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:46 am

I've been quoted 2hrs for wrapping so not bad at all. I asked about spraying and a professional bodyshop said they wouldn't touch them as it never sticks properly.

Lyons

Post by Lyons » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:50 am

Ok thanks. I’ll maybe ask the question of my local wrapper then.

Still not 100% convinced whether I should be doing it st all or leaving them as they are! I need to find some photos of other grey M Sports with black surrounds and grills.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:10 am

Mines in Space Grey and has black grilles and it'll have black trim soon, looks great in my opinion. Check ebay and Autotrader as they'll have some for sale with black trims.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:24 pm

I had mine wrapped, 2-1/2 years ago and stood the test of time very well

On previous car, I removed and replaced, it’s not a nice jobs and your finger tips will hate you!
The trims are seated in the rubber surround and doesn’t separate/ refit too well