Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

smoke from exhaust while stuck in traffic and engine has a duck in it ????

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
majordamage069

smoke from exhaust while stuck in traffic and engine has a duck in it ????

Post by majordamage069 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi guys,
i was stopped in traffic in my e70 3.0d 20008 on east lancs road today and was looking in mirror at nice shinny white new x5 behind me. Then noticed loads of smoke coming from my car exhaust got quite severe. traffic moved and found somewhere to stop, but the smoking stopped also . I popped the bonnet and to the rear right on engine bay was a intermittent quack noise.
a google/ youtube search says this a possible egr pressure converter needs replacing. I,m a home diy not a mechanic so just need to know am i on right track before i order one.
Are the smoke and egr regulator connected.
wife been suffering from cancer all year so am on a tight budget so be gentle with me :| and need get the car reliable hence that why i got bmw x5

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: smoke from exhaust while stuck in traffic and engine has a duck in it ????

Post by Horizon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 pm

It could be the car was carrying out a DPF regen at the time.
If it doesn't smoke like this all the time I wouldn't be too concerned.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 pm

What colour was the smoke ? black is unburn't diesel , blue is oil and is bad ,could just be steam/condensation on a cold day if its white as the exhaust heats ?

majordamage069

Post by majordamage069 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:00 am

i'd been driving half hour so engine was warm. only at idle while stopped in traffic, as soon as i got moving it stopped smoking but covered the carriageway in smoke as if head had gone or turbo seals, am not sure if dark or blue ish i panicked and needed get off dual carriageway but as i say it stopped.
called in local garage as i still trying find someone willing to remove my snapped locking nut and asked about the smoke as well, he said don't worry if it only done it the once ????
coming up to caravan season so dont want this to happen while away towing.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm

You may just keep an eye on it for now ,pressure converters rarely give bother unless they get covered in soot from a leaking exhaust manifold as I understand it .The egr would be opening and closing regularly anyway depending on conditions in the engine.