Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heater/blower question

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
weirdfish

Re: Heater/blower question

Post by weirdfish » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:14 pm

New resistor ordered through Cotswold, pick it up Thursday when I'm in Cheltenham anyway.
Went out this morning to a flat battery, I'm thinking it's down to the resistor, or else I have another problem to deal with, lol.
I decided to see what sort of job it's going to be and removed the old one, it's either the fact that I have hands like shovels or just not as bendy as I used to be, ended up looking like I've been attacked by some sort of animal, bloody sharp bits up there.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Well, I suppose if your battery survives till Thursday you’ve cracked it

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Hooked it up to a trickle charger, so hopefully by the time I fit the new resistor it should be ok.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Thought I would check the battery as best I could whilst waiting for the new resistor, it's been hooked up to the trickle charger for a good few hours now so a quick check with a multi-meter revealed that it's showing just under 12v when nowt running and just under 14v with the engine on tick over.
After switching the engine off and waiting a few minutes I decided to see if there was anything still drawing on the battery, hooked up the meter again on Amps setting and it showed 0.04 when set at 20A, so I would conclude that this is pretty much ok.
Once I fit the new resistor I'll go through the settings again to double check.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 pm

You might find that battery is old and knackered anyway if it’s been on a car that’s had a drain or fan problem that no one fixed, I know you haven’t seen the fan running of its own accord yet but if you do get funny messages and warnings coming up after you’ve fixed the fan consider your battery as a suspect!

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Already considered changing the battery, these things need to be at the top of their game really.
I actually got a price from bmw at the same time as ordering the resistor, pleasantly surprised at around £120.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm

I paid about that for a Bosch s5 from ECP with one of their usual offers

Paulpen

Post by Paulpen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Under 12v with no load is toast and is going to let you down sooner or later :wink:

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Dont forget it was flat and I’ve only connected it to a trickle charge optimate type of charger so it might want a bit longer to get fully charged.
I’ll re-check again after fitting the new resistor and giving it a good run.

Paulpen

Post by Paulpen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 pm

You might need a reconditioner more than a charger if its been flat more than once :)