Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2012 X1 rotational banging

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X1 (E84).
Problems, How To Articles & Performance topics can currently be discussed here also.
Chiggs

2012 X1 rotational banging

Post by Chiggs » Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi

My X1 has started to thump when rotation in low gears! It feel as if the driveshafts are missing or jumping making the whole car shudder when driving. Particularly when driving a long distance.

My research has indicated the traction case actuator, however, when I switch the engine of and the car is in free mode there are no sounds nor banging coming from the car but when u put the ignition on the rotational thumping immediately starts which indicates it’s an electrical issue-

Has any one got any idea what this can be?

d..m.k

Re: 2012 X1 rotational banging

Post by d..m.k » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 am

Hi, I have a similar issue. I’ve not had the car long and noticed a clunk noise when driving down to Cornwall. Not noticed anything till we took it on a long trip and I suppose everything got fully up to temp. Ours is an auto and when you release the brake and the car crawls forward you can feel a regular clunk, like a drive shaft or transfer case spline drive is worn / slipping. Nothing at all over 10mph. I’ve checked underneath and I can only feel 1-2mm if play in the front output shaft. Is this normal? I’ve had a few BMWs but this is my first xdrive I’ve had so a 4wd noob I’m afraid.

Also has a slight shake at higher speed but I’m getting wheel balance and tracking checked today so hope that is the shake issue.

I know tyre wear can be an issue with xdrive but tyres are good and wear is even, FBMWSH, 48k so not high miles abused etc

Hope you get your issue sorted as it may help me!! :thumbsup:

d..m.k

Post by d..m.k » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Update on my low speed clunk thud bang.
I bit the bullet and bought 2 new Bridgestone Dueller HP for the front as the old ones were slightly more worn than the back, had the tracking checked as well and the clunk has gone and the high speed shudder has also gone ( this may have been the tracking) but I can only assume the transfer case is so sensitive to tyre circumference/speed that it was getting confused?

Thought I would leave it a couple of weeks just to be sure but so far so good. It’s unbelievable that it is so sensitive. I fear I’m going to get through a lot of tyres, will have to start selling part worns!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:49 pm

All X cars suffer from this ‘sensitivity’. It is also a known problem on other luxury brands using staggered set up wheel sets and some with square wheel sets. Anything more than 1.5% difference in circumference can be an issue. AO (Audi) MO (Merc) and * (BMW) Marked tyres are allegedly made with matched circumference limits. BMW don’t warn anyone that fitting non-‘approved’ (*) marked tyres invalidates any transmission warranty!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

d..m.k

Post by d..m.k » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Mine has always been fitted with (*) tyres just the front were a little more worn than the backs which I assume produced the clunk at crawling speed.

I still have a slight hesitation or what feels like a slip on the drive. Happens between 20-40/50 under constant steady acceleration. Feels a bit like clutch slip but the gearbox changes smoothly through the gears. I assume the X1 transfer case has an actuator that controls it, does anyone know if this has the same plastic gear ring like the X3 & X5? If so then could this be the issue?

It is starting to really bug me now, there must be a fix for the problem. Any pointers gratefully recieved.

kkx5

Post by kkx5 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:18 am

Hi. No actuator with plastic cog on x1, its ecu attached to t.case.