Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering shake and wobble when braking

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
celica

Steering shake and wobble when braking

Post by celica » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:06 am

Steering shake and wobble when braking, but mostly at about 55-45mph range

Doesn’t really happen other speed

Any thoughts on causing this?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Steering shake and wobble when braking

Post by X5Sport » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:14 am

In my case it was a sticking caliper. Check if any one wheel is hotter than another. If it is then the chances are that caliper is not releasing when the brakes are off. It will be a case of repair or replace depending on your technical abilities, tools and courage :) Not a difficult job.

Alternatively it could well be a warped disc.

I had this issue last year and changed the front right caliper and both front discs & pads. My front right wheel was very much warmer than the opposite side.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

celica

Post by celica » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:54 pm

I had a sticking calliper repaired last year
Along with new discs and pads

But why would it only be at certain speed ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:37 am

Could be the other, or it is doing it again? It does happen. Others on here have changed the same parts to have the issue occur again some months later and been the same cause.

Mine only showed up at certain speeds as well - assuming you haven’t lost a wheel weight - as there are certain combinations of vibration that ‘couple’ and amplify with the vehicle’s natural resonant frequency so feel worse, coupled with speed also generating enough heat to set the whole process off. Lower speed, less heat, higher (or lower) speed and it changes the vibration frequency so it doesn’t hit a sweet spot.

I had nothing at all until on a 70mph section of road and then it would suddenly start and became far worse when braking, especially light braking. I could clear it temporarily by using hard braking for a couple of seconds. It only worked for a few minutes though.

Is a wheel warmer than the others? If it isn’t then it could be a warped disc or just a wheel weight, or even a loose wheel. You could also check that the suspension joints don’t have any free play.

celica

Post by celica » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks

Hopefully it’s something trivial

I don’t think the wheel(s) get hot like last time witja sticky calliper

I’ll check and get it booked in when back off holiday

The front pads and discs were done not long ago
Front suspension springs also changed
So will get check out nothing suspension related

Could it be a wheel weight if only affecting braking?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 pm

It was just something to eliminate. If everything is tight and not getting hot then a warped disc is a real possibility. It did happen to me a long time ago after braking to a stop coming off a motorway and leaving the foot brake on a bit too hard. Only took a few seconds but that was that. :o

Unlikely, but worth also looking at is a loose disc (should not happen if the wheel nuts are tight, or contamination behind the disc at the interface with the hub so it isn’t sitting flat on the hub.

It might be a dodgy tyre (damage/bulge/defective) but I’m running out of things to check :dizzy: :scratchhead:

Scomo4

Post by Scomo4 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 am

I’m also currently having this issue. Round town braking is fine. When coming off a slip road or upto a roundabout from 70mph applying the brake I’m getting a judder/shake through the steering wheel. Will keep an eye on this post :thumbsup:

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 pm

I had the same issue and it was to an extent the suspension arms.

These cars are very sensitive to wheel balancing. Chances are its not the discs

Scomo4

Post by Scomo4 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 am

Any update on this thread?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:47 pm

I have noticed my drivers front wheel gets black with brake dust much quicker than the left front and is starting to groove the disc already whereas the left is still like new , only had discs and pads about 7k ago and getting some vibration at certain speeds too so I suspect a sticky caliper .
Must check the wheels after a run and see if its warmer or not too .

marti

Post by marti » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:03 am

Leslie wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:47 pm I have noticed my drivers front wheel gets black with brake dust much quicker than the left front and is starting to groove the disc already whereas the left is still like new , only had discs and pads about 7k ago and getting some vibration at certain speeds too so I suspect a sticky caliper .
Must check the wheels after a run and see if its warmer or not too .
Youve answered your own question....sticky caliper, as you have a disc one side which is grooved thats a sign the pad has worn right down and will soon be metal to metal.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:55 pm

Marti the pads are not worn down but there is some light grooving on drivers side whereas passenger side Is like new .it's not bad yet but there seems to be an issue so will need to make further checks. :thumbsup: