Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2012 X6 N/SF IRRITATING NOISE!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
unclebuck3

2012 X6 N/SF IRRITATING NOISE!

Post by unclebuck3 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone might point me in the right direction:

I run a 2012 X6 and I have an irritating noise coming from the n/s/f wheel area, It sounds to me very much like a worn wheel bearing type noise.ie da da da da da etc. or even d da, d da, d da, d da etc
Up to press this is what I have had done:
I have so far had the n/s/r wheel bearing changed ,thinking it may be from the rear n/s but no!
I have just had the front n/s wheel bearing changed ,which I do believe seems to have quietened something!
I did take it to a indy BMW garage who believed it was a wheel bearing but didn't know which? They advised me to leave it until it got worse so they could pinpoint which bearing! They said that the had done a test on the transfer box and it was ok ,
I have changed my tyres from 'economy brands' to Pirelli , but alas the noise is still there!!
The sound is not a squeal or thud or bang, and there is nothing felt through the steering wheel? The sound as mentioned is more of a 'da da da da da 'etc, its not really that loud (my wife says she can't hear it !) but whereby the rest of the car is very quiet on the road , this da da da da is doing my head in! Any suggestions? Thanks

Unclebuck

Re: 2012 X6 N/SF IRRITATING NOISE!

Post by Unclebuck » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:40 pm

All sorted it was the front differential that was making the noise !

marti

Post by marti » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 am

:thumbsup: How did you manage to track it down to that?

Unclebuck

Post by Unclebuck » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:03 am

By eliminating other things really! I knew it come from the near side, you could feel it under your feet if you were in the passenger seat, I took to an independent garage where they changed the transfer box fluid, I had had fitted 3 new wheel bearings fitted to rear n/s, front n/s and drivers front the Indy thought that it really couldn’t be anything else! After they got me a price of new one fitted £3-4K I decided to buy a second hand one that they fitted! All sorted and they said that the old one did have movement and wear on the diff shaft! It was a gamble but it paid off.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:35 am

A good friend used to say that he often experienced an irritating noise from the NSF, but this only ever happeneed when his wife was with him :o