Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best Place to wire CTEK adaptor

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Best Place to wire CTEK adaptor

Post by CondorX5 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:54 am

Now that my sadly demised 4.8is is long gone.....(hopefully being rebuilt by another forum member....) the E70 has been hijacked by my partner who does loads of very short journeys, not much good for the diesel although I will take it on a long run when I can. The 4.8 was easy to connect to a CTEK and for her to undo quickly as the front cig lighter was permanently live. Not so the E70.
I have temp connected the CTEK to the under bonnet jump point and earth, but its a faff for her to be able to quickly disconnect when going out.

What is the best (easiest) way of wiring in a comfort / quick CTEK connector in the car without having to pay someone to do it or undo half the dashboard........???

Is the rear 12V socket perm live? Just need to make sure she is reminded somehow it is plugged in before driving off!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Best Place to wire CTEK adaptor

Post by X5Sport » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Mine is wired directly off the under bonnet jump-start +ve and -ve. CTEK do a version with 10mm eyelets so I have the +ve connected into the jump start block inside the cover and just undid the -ve, put the eyelet over the stud and did it all up again. The positive is quite a tight fight to gain enough room but it works just fine.

I use their 2-metre extension cable between the comfort connector under the bonnet and the CTEK charger. This means that I can plug in, route the flying lead down to the front, shut the bonnet and leave it to charge by itself. All of ours are done the same way.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Mine has the loose lead comfort connection directly onto the battery. It lays on the boot floor, (rarely showing green on the traffic light display). Thats a simple plug fit to the CTEK via an extension lead. That loops out of the boot into the charger. You do have to remember to switch off the mains and unplug it before driving off tho :wink:

There's another fixed comfort connection socket that also connects directly to the battery, but is flush fitted so needs a hole cutting somewhere in the boot space.

ssrfr03

Post by ssrfr03 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:31 am

I cut a small hole to sit the module in the battery tray in the boot ,wired straight onto the battery.