Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Interior trims

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
StuBeeDoo

Interior trims

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 pm

One thing I've had trouble taking to with my F25 is the high-gloss dark fineline wave trim set. Looking around the 'net it seems that most F25s with Oyster leather, like mine, have it. My particular problem is (.....was) with reflections off the centre console and the dash trim above the glove box. Yesterday I wrapped these two in "brushed aluminium" vinyl, and I'm pretty happy with the result. :)

For the time being, the trims in the door cards are staying as they are. Firstly, I can't be bothered removing the door cards, one-by-one, to unscrew the trims while the vinyl is applied. Secondly, I'm not sure I want them brushed aluminium - I think, for the doors, I want them darker. I'm torn between several different colours and textures...... standard matt black, black leather texture, dark grey or black brushed, carbon fibre look.

A third alternative would be to buy a cheap set of trims, once I've decided what colour/finish I want, then swap them en-masse once the wrapping is completed.

I will post an image of the work-in-progress soon.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Re: Interior trims

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 am

I should have mentioned above that I'm not a lover of dark interiors, which is why I avoid Sport-spec in my BMWs - I couldn't live with the anthracite headlining, even with a sunroof. My E46 was great - it was all light grey, except for the dash top, and the trims were aluminium. There is still plenty of black in the F25, even though the seats are Oyster.

Here are the images of the wrapped trims.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (177.24 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (157.39 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
(Apologies for the over-exposure on the second one)
I'm actually starting to think, now, that it would be better to have the door trims the same colour/texture as the dash and console.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 amI'm actually starting to think, now, that it would be better to have the door trims the same colour/texture as the dash and console.
I've now ordered more of the brushed aluminium wrap.

StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 pmI can't be bothered removing the door cards, one-by-one, to unscrew the trims while the vinyl is applied.
My first attempt at wrapping a door trim will be with the trim in-situ. I've had to order far more wrap than I actually need for the 4 trims (to get enough for the length of the trims), so if doing them in-situ isn't a success it won't be the end of the world, I'll just have to bite the bullet and remove the door cards.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:12 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 pmI can't be bothered removing the door cards, one-by-one, to unscrew the trims while the vinyl is applied.
StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 amMy first attempt at wrapping a door trim will be with the trim in-situ. I've had to order far more wrap than I actually need for the 4 trims (to get enough for the length of the trims), so if doing them in-situ isn't a success it won't be the end of the world, I'll just have to bite the bullet and remove the door cards.
As we're in lockdown, and I had time on my hands today, I decided to do the job properly. It took about 3hrs from removing the first trim to fitting the 4th. While doing the job I noticed that the wrap on the dash and centre console trims is wrinkled. I'll have another go at them at some point, as I have plenty of wrap left.

Photos of the door trims to follow, when I wash the car.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:40 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:12 pmPhotos of the door trims to follow, when I wash the car.

Br ally trims 1.JPG
Br ally trims 1.JPG (151.47 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Br ally trims 3.JPG
Br ally trims 3.JPG (168.16 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Br ally trims 4.JPG
Br ally trims 4.JPG (166.86 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
With the benefit of hindsight, I should have rolled-down the rear windows when I took the photos of the door trims. :roll:

....And the strange contraption on the passenger seat is to make Wor Lass feel that it's not what she calls "a bucket seat". I actually went as far as sourcing a second-hand comfort seat for the passenger side for the E46, but I'm not doing it again. She'll have to make-do with a bit of extra foam.