Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ciggy socket amps

General car related chat
Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Ciggy socket amps

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 am

What power can the ciggy socket take.(2002 e53).........
The fuse is i think 25a but would i be safe running my Ham radio through it take 22a max but o don't use full power only 70%.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Ciggy socket amps

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am

Any ideas ?????????.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Lighter sockets are usually 120 Watts, which if you divide by the voltage will give you a current of 10 amps.
However the BMW ones maybe higher

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:19 pm

I think the e70 is 20 amp so e53 may be less ,even with a 10 amp tyre compressor plugged in the plug soon gets very hot I found so I think wiring it direct to the battery and fused would be a better idea.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:29 pm

When my Amateur kit was installed in the E53 it was directly to the battery. I never ran more than 25W input to the antenna(s) on 2m and 70cm in order to keep the risk of air bag triggering or EMI issues with the on board electronics down. I wasn’t drilling holes for the antennas and was wary of imperfect matches via the magnetic mounts in case the VSWR ‘challenges’ upset anything important.

I had a Kenwood TMD700 mounted in the right boot cubby with the control head up front. Speakers were mounted above one of the front trims - above the pedal box from memory.

One day I’ll get round to putting it in the X6.

I’ve never tried HF mobile though as the power levels both drawn and emitted were more than I was prepared to use.

The cigar lighter points should be able to cope with VHF/UHF kit....unless you are putting a stonking great (technical term for lots of power :D ) amp on the output?

I’m not active at present as I just don’t get the time.
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies.
As i thought a battery connection maybe the jump points under the bonnet.
Just got to find a way through the bulkhead not easy for me as i can't bend very well with my disability.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:37 pm

X5Sport wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:29 pm When my Amateur kit was installed in the E53 it was directly to the battery. I never ran more than 25W input to the antenna(s) on 2m and 70cm in order to keep the risk of air bag triggering or EMI issues with the on board electronics down. I wasn’t drilling holes for the antennas and was wary of imperfect matches via the magnetic mounts in case the VSWR ‘challenges’ upset anything important.

I had a Kenwood TMD700 mounted in the right boot cubby with the control head up front. Speakers were mounted above one of the front trims - above the pedal box from memory.

One day I’ll get round to putting it in the X6.

I’ve never tried HF mobile though as the power levels both drawn and emitted were more than I was prepared to use.

The cigar lighter points should be able to cope with VHF/UHF kit....unless you are putting a stonking great (technical term for lots of power :D ) amp on the output?

I’m not active at present as I just don’t get the time.
It's a Yaesu FT450d i will be running.
I say mobile but it's just the odd occasion i will take it out up in the hill's.
I run it at 70w on a 30amp psu at home but i don't see it drawing a lot of amps with the meter on the psu but i will try and find a way through the bulkhead.