Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rough acceleration & smoke

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Wookie_79

Rough acceleration & smoke

Post by Wookie_79 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi all

For over a week now my car suffers with the following symptoms:
Rough acceleration up to 1500rpm
This happens every time I start the car. I can feel drop in performance, car it’s sluggish a bit. Sometimes it seem to get better after a while of driving. No issues going up hill, seem like it’s pulling ok.
I’ve got the following codes:
4B10 & 4B11 engine roughness regulator
4530 manifold pressure regulation

By ideas what is the issue here?
Oh and the car sometimes smokes a lot on acceleration.
Thank

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Rough acceleration & smoke

Post by Leslie » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:39 pm

I think you may have a bad injector ,a leakoff test at a garage would tell you which one by doing a leakoff test with bottles to measure it or some software can do this where it compares injectors :hi:

Wookie_79

Post by Wookie_79 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Thanks I thought so but wanted to be sure.

Read somewhere that it also might be CVT, manifold sensor, fuel pump or fuel filter, possible?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:09 am

The only way to be sure is to get them tested as said.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am

I can’t help notice that the diesels seem to have more problems with a bit of age than the petrols. The problems also seem way more expensive to repair ie fuel pumps, injectors, glow plugs and controllers. Perfectly happy to be shot down in flames.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Sounds to me like your MAP sensor is faulty, the one in the intake manifold, easy to change....but do buy genuine or your asking for trouble...

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Not being a diesel expert but wouldn’t something like the MAP sensor show up on a decent diagnostics tool. If so, surely that would be an excellent reason to get one, even if you get someone else to fit it stops the dodgy repairer telling you it’s the "what’s it called that’s under that big black thingy" that will be £200 to remove.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:17 pm

It would if the diagnostics sensors actually covered it. In many cases the on board monitoring simply doesn’t provide that level of granularity and needs educated engineers to work it out from the multitude of confusing error codes. Unfortunately garages have inexperienced ‘technicians’ who in too many cases cannot work from first principles and therefore change everything until they find the real cause - with us owners paying the bill for the wrongly fitted parts.

BMW limit what their own garage techs can do by forcing a ‘replace not repair’ policy that prevents learning through experience. Everything is on a menu driven time based repair structure, especially if under warranty or service plan cover. They aren’t alone of course, but as someone who was taught by proper vehicle mechanics 40 years ago it galls me.

Rant over....... :oops:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 pm

X5Sport wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:17 pm It would if the diagnostics sensors actually covered it. In many cases the on board monitoring simply doesn’t provide that level of granularity and needs educated engineers to work it out from the multitude of confusing error codes. Unfortunately garages have inexperienced ‘technicians’ who in too many cases cannot work from first principles and therefore change everything until they find the real cause - with us owners paying the bill for the wrongly fitted parts.

BMW limit what their own garage techs can do by forcing a ‘replace not repair’ policy that prevents learning through experience. Everything is on a menu driven time based repair structure, especially if under warranty or service plan cover. They aren’t alone of course, but as someone who was taught by proper vehicle mechanics 40 years ago it galls me.

Rant over....... :oops:
+ 1

marti

Post by marti » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:31 am

henrym3 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:36 pm Not being a diesel expert but wouldn’t something like the MAP sensor show up on a decent diagnostics tool. If so, surely that would be an excellent reason to get one, even if you get someone else to fit it stops the dodgy repairer telling you it’s the "what’s it called that’s under that big black thingy" that will be £200 to remove.
As has been said no, diags wouldn't tell you its that sensor, what made me say it could be the MAP sensor is the code 4530 manifold pressure regulation, not the digits but the explanation "pressure regulation", the pressure in the manifold is read via the MAP, diags are only a tool like any other tool and not as precise as some believe, you basically have to read between the lines and figure out as in this case "what reads the pressure in the manifold"...Answer: MAP sensor.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 am

I'd get a garage to use software to compare injectors before changing out parts it shouldn't take long and no parts need removing and it will be obvious is one is bad. While it can due to other issues parts are not cheap and will soon add up.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 am

henrym3 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am I can’t help notice that the diesels seem to have more problems with a bit of age than the petrols. The problems also seem way more expensive to repair ie fuel pumps, injectors, glow plugs and controllers. Perfectly happy to be shot down in flames.
Fair point and the newer they are the worse it gets with particulate filters etc. My old 330d got to 200k on original injectors I had it since 96k had a small fuel pump 200 quid and a cheap airflow meter but ate flywheels! The engine was fine but the body was rotten in the end e46s can rot lol

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 am

Diesels do indeed have more mechanical wizardry than an equivalent petrol, and with much of the final fuel delivery being under significant pressure. That means it wears out.

Modern cars have so many more bits to go wrong because (as suggested above) emission regulations mandate tighter controls on everything going in and out of the lump under the bonnet. It’s probably why BMW only ‘life’ their cars at three years. They just expect us to throw them away and buy another.... :headbang:

I’ve noticed more and more that manufacturers are now quoting a service life on their stuff. I bought a new razor recently and the book quotes its service life as 6 years. Planned obsolescence I think they call it. :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Sometimes you just have to take a moment and remind yourself that all the other manufacturers are the same or worse. Although I do like that saying,"planned obsolescence "

Wookie_79

Post by Wookie_79 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:05 pm

Ok so it was brittle hose end connecting to vacuum reservoir and the head gasket breather was all caked up so replaced it for vortex one and car seem to be preforming better than before than incident 😀
But still at times cold or hot, it shakes when put in gear, not always but often. Ideas? I’ve run the test and it said something about engine roughness regulator also something about no signal from dde but forgot now what it was but will check.