Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E53 D-Sport - Fuel Injection Error message

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

E53 D-Sport - Fuel Injection Error message

Post by X5-D-Sport » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Car broke down today.

Symptoms...
Warning on dash "Fuel Inj System"
Car lost 50% of its power - presumably into fail-safe mode.

I stopped, re-started again & fine for 200 metres with normal power, & then reduced power & injection warning on dash.
1/2 mile later it stopped completely.
more than 200 miles of diesel in the tank.

Now it won't start at all... tried cranking several times.... Nothing !

I have read that it could be the big fuel filter under the rear floor-pan, but that won't normally stop it starting - i don't think.
Other thoughts I read about are the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail can go faulty.... and a fuse some place can also fail...

Any suggestions are welcomed, especially if you can describe where to look for the potential failure items.

regards
Grant B - Stafford UK

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: E53 D-Sport - Fuel Injection Error message

Post by X5Sport » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:32 pm

A blocked filter will stop the car due to fuel shortage. Water in fuel will cause filter issues to and possibly fuel freezing to occur too.

Have you got fuel at the injectors? If not then it’s either pump or supply (tank to pump somewhere.

Probably worth an error scan to see what other faults are logged as a way of narrowing down where the issue is - supply, or pumps or sensors.

Newtis might have pointers too.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:47 pm

I got the car recovered this afternoon....
Back home, a good squirt of "easy-start", & the engine lumbered into life...

which it would not do if sensors had failed.... so I'm thinking a blocked fuel filter.

On the Diesel 2005 E53's is there just the one fuel filter, located under the rear floor pan ? or another in the engine bay also

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:45 pm

Looking at this pic it only shows one filter.
00EDCC7A-CC2D-4D95-A224-24C64E125D4A.png
00EDCC7A-CC2D-4D95-A224-24C64E125D4A.png (211.47 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
You could check the suction jet pump hasn’t failed by checking the hidden menu to see how much fuel is in the left and right tank or just bung a five litre can of diesel in the tank and see if it starts and runs ok.

marti

Post by marti » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Sounds to me that you have an injector leaking or on its way out...had the same thing on my sprinter van , wouldn't start unless Easi start was used, new injector and all sorted. As a guess its normally injector number 5 on the e53 for some reason that fails.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Problem solved & sorted.

New filter under the tank fitted.... took 30 seconds cranking to clear the air, & YAY..

Starts on the button now & no hint of issues with some Enthusiastic driving.

Many thanks fir the assistance gents.

regards
Grant B

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm

Update,
I swapped out the fuel filter as per a previous message here,

last weekend & pulled the fuel pump from the RIGHT side of the tank & there was 5" of fuel in the tank, so it was not as if the gallon of fuel I put in would fill the tank by 5".

By my reconing there was still 200 miles left in the tank.

I gave her a good run with some "interesting" throttle pedal use to TRY & force a fuel starvation stoppage, but she drove well.
I put an additional £40 of diesel in the tank.... so in theory there is over 350 miles remaining.

The fuel level sender may be faulty as the gauge has read Zero since the fuel starvation issue began.

I will lift the seat tomorrow & give the fuel sender a few clonks with a rubber mallet & see if it free's up & starts reading fuel level again.
Meanwhile, I will hunt down a used-part replacement.

Any one know if there is such a thing as a fuse failure for the fuel level sender, or other known faults ??

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 am

Can’t see one in the diagram below.....except for the 5A supply into the controller and if that goes it could kill the system rather than just the gauge.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e53- ... ge/oj59I2r

That fuse is fuse #1 in the glovebox board.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:09 pm

X5-D-Sport Salisbury wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 pm Update,

The fuel level sender may be faulty as the gauge has read Zero since the fuel starvation issue began.

or other known faults ??
Gauge may be right !
Does the tank have 2 sides with a hump in the middle like other bmws ? , if so it used to be once the level sensor pump failed fuel once below half full could no longer get over the hump so you ran out of fuel despite having plenty on one side. Brimming the tank and its not an issue till it gets below say 1/2 full again and enthusiastic driving is maybe throwing fuel to the other side whereas normal driving would not so you run out (just a theory ) :D