Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

will not rev

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
yeoman1

will not rev

Post by yeoman1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:53 pm

Hi
I have a 2007 3.0d it has had in the last two months a new dpf and the sensors both before and after. It runs fine until it gets to 3500 revs and then goes flat, any ideas?
Many thanks in advance.

XK8

Re: will not rev

Post by XK8 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:42 am

Hi, I had a similar problem, but at lower revs2000-2500. It turned out to be a vacuum hose. It drove to turbo actuator.
BTW, I have a 3.0sd. Worth taking off the engine cover and checking through the lines.

Regards.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:00 am

As said check all the vacuum hoses as they are more than likely the original ones and the ends split.
Easy enough job to do yourself but just change one at a time save forgetting where they went.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Also if replacing them use a sharp knife to slit them length ways before you attempt to remove them as the plastic receivers snap off the valves very easily if you try to twist them off.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:36 pm

Are the exhaust tail pipes clean now ? as if its still not regening it may be blocking up again .

yeoman1

Post by yeoman1 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:45 pm

All sorted front heat sensor was not working due to a broken wire, forced regeneration now goes like a Honey bear on steroids'. One last problem cannot turn on front passenger air bag. You can put key in socket in glove box and turn on as many times as you like but it will not activate the airbag, any idea's?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 14, 2020 1:57 pm

It should only take a 1/4 turn. Has it been permanently coded out as might happen if a child seat was used? There was a coding option to do that and it ignores the switch. If not then perhaps the switch is busted.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Disco Volante

Post by Disco Volante » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:06 am

Hi all, newbie alert so please go gentle.

I have this issue with my MY2007 3.0D. It revs through to 5,500 in first gear and then all other gears seem to be restricted to 3,000rpm.

In the last few months I've had new glow plugs and control module, new MAF, two oxygen sensors, a DPF clean and also the EGR cleaned, all to no avail, so best part of £1k without any impact on performance.

It smell on idling, smokes occasionally (but not often) and the turbo was replaced 3 years ago..

Any advice would be greatly received, thanks all.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:09 am

Have you had an error code readout done? That might give you an indication of the issue and not all issues bring warning lights or messages up in the dash or iDrive.

Will it rev correctly if the gearbox is in manual or sport modes?

Disco Volante

Post by Disco Volante » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:24 am

Thanks for the response, I haven't had the codes read as don't have access to a code reader. A friend of mine (who's moved away recently) did and said it was the O2 sensors (two of them, I think there may be three) and changed them for me, along with the DPF clean but this has made no difference.

It's a manual box, and seems to rev to around 5000 in neutral.

There's no lights on the dashboard at all.

Disco Volante

Post by Disco Volante » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:32 am

yoeman1 said his was a front heat sensor? What is this please?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:51 am

Assuming that I’ve got the right model (built in 2007) E83LCI then this may help. If you haven’t used Realoem before, put the last 7 of your VIN into serial number to pull up the correct car model. The parts database is current to Dec 2019.

Items 3 & 5 are two temperature sensors on the ‘close mounted’ near the engine type DPF itself. This looks to cover both EU3 & 4. You’ll probably need to find out which exhaust you actually have on the car.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=18_0672

For EU4 only cars the exhaust looks different with what appears to be a DPF further back. In that case it might be Item 11 here:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=18_0628

That could mean three different sensors are involved, depending on what actual plumbing you have.

There may be something on newtis.info as well (copy of the BMW Service Instructions) as that is a treasure trove of things.

Disco Volante

Post by Disco Volante » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:25 am

Thank you for these links, I think it is the Euro 4 DPF. I suspect it is a blockage or something as I don't drive it the way it needs to be driven so suspect it hasn't regenerated for some time.

Only thing, if it is the sensor, why would it go to 5,500 in first gear and not the others?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:45 pm

That’s what puzzles me too. It’s the same amount of air going through in any gear. There is probably a link between gearbox load and engine load as read by the engine electronics that means as the gears change more boost is needed, hence checking the vacuum lines, waste gate etc.

I would have expected a DPF issue to have brought up a warning light if airflow was being limited by soot or ash. Sensors may have more limiting effects as the ‘load’ increases.

If it was fuel feed (such as a blocked filter reducing flow) I would have expected a ‘Fuel Injection’ error to come on as it does with the other models.

It almost sounds as if it’s in limp mode - in an auto box setup you lose some gears but as you have a manual I don’t know how that works. You usually get some form of warning about it too.

Disco Volante

Post by Disco Volante » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 am

Thanks for your comments X5Sport.

Have been to a garage today and had the faulty codes read. It was coming up with 3 codes (all dpf related). They cleared them, then took it for a drive and plugged it in again and it came up with the same 3 codes again. I don't have the codes but dpf blocked and new dpf pressure sensor required. There's no dashboard light for the DPF on this model so impossible to know unless you're in the know!

Garage is now coming up with some prices for me to consider, which will ultimately be a new dpf and sensor, or a dpf clean and new sensor.

Easy fix by all accounts, just need to wait to see how much ££££££.

Will update again when it's done.