Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0sd tyres

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Gordy007

3.0sd tyres

Post by Gordy007 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:58 am

First newbie question of many!
recently bought a 2008 3.0sd and have read a lot of stories about tyres causing issues. Currently running 235/45/19 pirelli p zero rosso * marked on the front (6.5mm tread) and 255/40/19 pirelli p zero rear - no * (4.5mm tread). The only thing is they both have different tread patterns. Is this likely to cause issues in the future or am I over thinking it? Seems to drive ok, maybe a bit hesitant on gear changes through 1st 2nd and 3rd although this is my first x3 and first auto so hard to know. I've found a discounted pair of p zero rosso * for the rear so thinking about changing to be safe. Will still be a slight difference in tread depth but interested to hear other peoples thought and experiences.

Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 3.0sd tyres

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 23, 2020 11:08 am

Tread depth is a little wider than tolerance so could cause an issue, and using mixed rubber in the E83 is known to cause trouble. Use of ‘*’ all round is highly recommended, as is changing the tyres as complete sets of four.

kkx5 (member on here) has fixed a lot of broken transmissions in these cars (it’s his day job) where a tyre choice has broken something. The E83 version seemed to be susceptible to issues where tread depth difference or wrong tyres, particularly with staggered setups (as you have) leads to failure in the transmission. The fact that it’s already hesitating in gear changes sounds ominous.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun May 24, 2020 6:28 am

I think that fitting the "discounted pair " would be ok ??.
What millage has the car done as it could be ready for the auto-box to be serviced.

Gordy007

Post by Gordy007 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 am

It's at 106,000 miles. I have no record of the transmission fluid or transfer box oil being changed so plan on getting this done soon. I think I'll go ahead and change the rear tyres to the matching * rated. There will be a 1.5mm difference in tread depth but think I'd feel more confident in that than having mismatched tread patterns and a large tread depth difference. Thanks for the replies

rockwell

Post by rockwell » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:45 am

There appears to be very limited choice if you need * marked All Season tyres. for a 2006 e83 X3 3.0d manual. I'm just about to change my 235/55/17 all round and its either Pirelli or Michelin Cross Climate.

I like the look of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons gen 2 but they are not * marked so understandably a little concerned. Would anyone with experience of these older X3's consider the Goodyear 4 seasons to be suitable? Had the transfer case rebuilt a year ago and would not wish to repeat the experience!

rockwell

Post by rockwell » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:23 pm

rockwell wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:45 am There appears to be very limited choice if you need * marked All Season tyres. for a 2006 e83 X3 3.0d manual. I'm just about to change my 235/55/17 all round and its either Pirelli or Michelin Cross Climate.

I like the look of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons gen 2 but they are not * marked so understandably a little concerned. Would anyone with experience of these older X3's consider the Goodyear 4 seasons to be suitable? Had the transfer case rebuilt a year ago and would not wish to repeat the experience!
Just discovered Michelin Crossclimates are not * marked so my only option for AllSeason tyres are Pirelli, not keen on these as last two sets have worn very quickly with sedate driving!

Any alternative suggestions welcome. I contacted BMW Customer Services (tech dept) unbelievably they advised me they are not qualified to comment and I should contact my local dealer. I did and they suggested Customer Services

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:35 pm

BMW GB are hopeless and my Dealer is just the same! I need to get replacement winter tyres for my X6 and the rear size is no longer available as a ‘*’ marked option because BMW themselves no longer use it. I was told that I could use MOE (Mercedes Original - Extended) as an option “if I choose to” but no one would commit further than that. With the car still under warranty that leaves me with an issue. On top of that there are no MOE tyres in that size with RFT either so all in all the advice was useless. I really would have expected better from either BMW GB and the Dealers but everyone is trying to avoid getting the blame (and bill) if the advice is wrong. As usual it’s the poor old customer left hanging!

BMW are using MOE tyres more often now because the cost of having their ‘own’ tyres for small batches is getting too high. My only choice now seems to be to dispose of the current 19” set rears and buy the narrower version. Mind you, the last two winters haven’t seen any real need for special tyres in this part of the country anyway.

I can now get MO marked for this set, non-RFT. Might have to add Puncturesafe into each tyre. Water-based and it seals holes up to 0.25”. Used it on my motorbike and it never let me down.

rockwell

Post by rockwell » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:22 pm

X5Sport wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:35 pm BMW GB are hopeless and my Dealer is just the same! I need to get replacement winter tyres for my X6 and the rear size is no longer available as a ‘*’ marked option because BMW themselves no longer use it. I was told that I could use MOE (Mercedes Original - Extended) as an option “if I choose to” but no one would commit further than that. With the car still under warranty that leaves me with an issue. On top of that there are no MOE tyres in that size with RFT either so all in all the advice was useless. I really would have expected better from either BMW GB and the Dealers but everyone is trying to avoid getting the blame (and bill) if the advice is wrong. As usual it’s the poor old customer left hanging!

BMW are using MOE tyres more often now because the cost of having their ‘own’ tyres for small batches is getting too high. My only choice now seems to be to dispose of the current 19” set rears and buy the narrower version. Mind you, the last two winters haven’t seen any real need for special tyres in this part of the country anyway.

I can now get MO marked for this set, non-RFT. Might have to add Puncturesafe into each tyre. Water-based and it seals holes up to 0.25”. Used it on my motorbike and it never let me down.
Thanks for that, it really is frustrating that BMW tech dept and the local dealer are unable to provide a satisfactory response to either of us.

rockwell

Post by rockwell » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am

X5Sport - Received this reply below from a different BMW main dealer in the region when I asked about * marked tyres and xDrive: Anecdotal evidence points to this being incorrect, still leaves me with only one option Pirelli for * marked All Season tyres.

"In regards to the * ratings on the tyres, these are just ones that BMW have tested the car with and recommend, if you were to go with another brand of tyre but in the same size - there shouldn't be a negative effect with the car being an xDrive."

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:40 pm

Wow, that’s a change from one ... and a good one. Both of my local Dealers have told me that fitting non ‘*’ marked tyres automatically broke the warranty Ts & Cs and BMW would not cover the cost of any repairs. Your Dealer is taking a far more relaxed view. Evidence from actual users - including this forum - indicates that the risk of transmission damage is more likely when using non-approved than with, and that includes comments from kkx5 who fixes broken BMW transmissions so ought to know what’s good and not.

It shouldn’t make a difference at all if the engineering tolerances in the hardware were a little easier. BMWs (and others) with staggered wheel setups appear to have issues with tyres.

It’s a bit like damned if you do, or damned if you don’t with no hard and fast statement that tells owners how big the risk is with any particular tyres. There shouldn’t (IMHO) be any.

rockwell

Post by rockwell » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Not terribly important in my case I guess as they were aware my car is long out of warranty, also I have all four tyres the same size.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:36 pm

That is the key. If all 4 corners are the same there’s much less of an issue - or risk :D

rockwell

Post by rockwell » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Just received this interesting written statement below from a premium tyre manufacturer in Europe. They are, after all, in the business of selling tyres so hardly surprising. They also state their non * marked All Season tyres are used throughout Germany and Scandinavia on X3's and X5's.

However, the comments of the forum member who refurbishes transfer cases are far more relevant than someone in a sales office!

" We hereby confirm that xxxxx tyres may be fitted without any reservations on the vehicle
and rims specified below "