Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 E70 and 21 inch non-staggered wheel set-up

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Trickyd1609

X5 E70 and 21 inch non-staggered wheel set-up

Post by Trickyd1609 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Hi Guys im new to this site so please accept my apologies if im not doing things correctly!

I have an X5 3.0d m sport (2011) on 90k, which BTW i love! I've had it over a year now and its running spot on (just changed out the rear suspension airbags and had some work done on it. The garage who repaired it are previous BMW technicians, have owned X5's themselves and have told me that my car is in great condition and to not to even think about selling it on anytime soon!

My wheels are the standard 10j/11j staggered set up (20 inch factory alloys but non RFT) The ride is good and no complaints there as i have the 7 seat version with the air suspension. The alloys are in need of a good refurb though as they're the polished alloys and have corroded in parts so im going to have them sorted, powder coated and sell on. I feel that they don't fill the arches enough and want a change of look to some black alloys against my black m sport paintwork.

This is my car right now...
my_car.jpg
my_car.jpg (149.78 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
my_car_2.jpg
my_car_2.jpg (216.26 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
I'm wanting to put on some bigger shoes and have found some lovely 22’s from Haxer (HX010) but im conscious that tyres are expensive too! I can afford them (just) but dont want them looking too 'pimp my ride' or sticking out of the arches either. The tyres for these would have to be the Lexani LX-Thirty simply for affordability but ive also heard theyre good tyres for the X5 and larger alloys.
Haxer HX010 on 22's
Haxer HX010 on 22's
haxer_hx010_22.jpg (283.7 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
haxer_hx010.jpg
haxer_hx010.jpg (276.56 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Im trying to get these same alloys above in a staggered 21 inch set up but if they're not available im happy to go non-staggered 21’s and then the tyres are the same all around...and much cheaper! The tyres for the 21’s are also easily affordable i.e blacklion BU66 etc so really makes sense whilst still adding to the visual drama and not really changing my driving pleasure by only going up 1’’ from 20’s.

I've read up on running non staggered and its seems that there is no advantage on the X5, apart from aesthetics at the rear. Its an AWD so doesnt benefit from a staggered set-up...please let me know otherwise!

My question is, if i go non staggered i.e 21x10 all around what tyre size should i be running and what offset? They look like ET40. Also what tyre pressure would you be running on this set up?

These are the other alloys im looking at:
racing_line_21.jpg
racing_line_21.jpg (106.15 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
https://www.ladnefelgi.pl/product-eng-5 ... 1-F16.html

BTW i will post updates once ive got my new shoes on so you can see the before and after.

Answers would be much appreciated! Chris

sid10

Re: X5 E70 and 21 inch non-staggered wheel set-up

Post by sid10 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi Chris
Like the standard alloys I have herd quite a lot of bad stories about after market wheels not having the correct weighting for the car so they end up cracking which is the last thing you want . Will they fit . com is a good source to get the correct offset aswell as alloy wheels direct . net as they have a good list of oem wheels and approved wheels , generally recommend star rated tyres run flat or none due to the nature of the diff problems . If you are planning on refurbishing the wheels why not go darker with your current ones and lower the car .
I have style 375 on my F15 21" 10j x 21 et40 front , 11.5j x 21 et38 rear but it still has a big gap between the tyre and arch ,so possibly try them on first to see it is what you are after !
sid10

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:00 pm

285.35.21 tyres all round will be the size and cheap in the blacklion brand, a rated wet grip too. I have these on the front as I run a staggered set of genuine 21's. Pressure settings are on the b pillar for 21's. I suspect the rears in the pics have big spacers as they won't sit out that far normally.
I did see a local e70 on 22's but they look a little too big imo.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 am

I stuck with 20s, the ride is harsh enough on runflats as it is, worsening that by swapping to 21s isn't my idea of an improvement. 21 x 10 on the rear would mean spacers as well if the offsets are all the same, longer bolts and all a bit fussy. Not that you the driver will notice but 10 " rears will look wrong too.

Multi spoke wheels that you favour certainly look good but will be a real pita to keep clean, that alone would put me off. If you really want 21" I would personally seek out some original BMW rims. Style 128 looks pretty aggressive and style 215 also looks good, i was briefly tempted by a set of those myself.

Staying with the OE options is a better route (to a harder ride :wink: ), imo of course. Offsets will be correct as will centre bore sizes :thumbsup:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:22 am

I have style 215 alloys in 21s and they look amazing on an x5 must get them back on as been on 20s since winter.