Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Flat Advice Please

General car related chat
celica

Battery Flat Advice Please

Post by celica » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:08 pm

X5 e70
Non stop start
But has AGM battery with IBS

The battery is completely dead due to not used during lockdown
I can’t even open the boot and the manual wire from inside won’t let me in

I’ve tried a ctek charger via the engine bay terminals
All I hear is clicking but after hours of charge still nothing

Can I plug the ctek to the battery in situ with the ibs if I clamber into the boot and get access?
Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Battery Flat Advice Please

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 pm

The +ve connection from the points under the bonnet is direct to the battery via a very heavy cable.

You can connect into the boot with no issue, although BMW recommend using the under bonnet connections because (I think) they are easier to get to. There is also less risk of a spark igniting charging gases (hydrogen) in a confined space -though how ‘real’ the risk of an explosion is I would say very low to none. We don’t boil batteries anymore :D

AGM batteries do not like being allowed to go flat and the chances are that unfortunately your one is toast, or at least its life will have been significantly shortened.. If your CTEK charger has a reconditioning mode then you can try it, but it may need the MXS10 (10A rated) version to have enough ‘punch’ to recover a very flat battery if it works at all. If it does recover it then be very nice to that battery.

I have been charging all of ours on a three-week cycle to keep them in usable condition. I don’t think the X6 has done 50 miles in 4 months.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

celica

Post by celica » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks

I don’t fancy doing it direct to be honest as I can only do it through the back seats as I can’t open the boot

I don’t have the higher end ctek.
Would trying to jump start off another car make an improvement?

When you say you do yours for three week cycle is that plugging it in and kept in for 3 weeks?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:09 am

Trying to jump start it is a good idea but let the other car run for some time with the cables connected.
The extra amps might wake your battery up so after the ctek will fully charge it.

Sandy5454

Post by Sandy5454 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:07 am

Does you Cteck charger light up as it should? If the battery has failed the error light should be illuminated. If not can you check it against another good battery? I have known my Cteck charger to fail. Can you check the battery voltage using a meter? A good battery should show 12.7 volts and sometimes more.
It sounds like your battery has failed.
During lockdown I have been charging my cars every 3 or 4 weeks just using my Cteck charger, which has now started showing a lack of cooperation and not lighting up as it should.
Good luck

celica

Post by celica » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:22 am

Thanks
Yes the ctek 5.0 seems to light up
But only up to number 2 light whilst I’ve tried battery and recondition for 2x 6 hours.

Nothing happens after

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:58 am

Recon can take 24 hours or more so you need to just let it do it’s thing. Two lights indicate that all is not lost, just the battery is well down. If you have a voltmeter it would be useful to know what it reads? If it is below 12V then it is at end of life, below 11.8V and a cell is dying. Anything less than that and replacement is your only option.

Putting a jump start on would at least let you open the boot. You may be able to do that with the battery charger connected too as long as you don’t do anything else but that :) waking these cars up pulls a lot of juice.

celica

Post by celica » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:02 am

Update
Used a 1.4 golf to boost charge the battery for 15 minutes.
Good news is more electrics came on but pinged me a 4x4 error, probably clear fine if running. Problem is still not enough juice to get it cranked and kicked over.

With more juice I was able to open the boot.
Decided to take the boost car off as didn’t want to damage it.
It didn’t hold any charge as the boot won’t open again and I’ve plugged the ctek back to the engine bay terminals

Can I plug it directly to the battery in situ with the IBS and other stuff? I’m not keen on electrics so not sure if I’m technically able to swap a battery out myself if needed either

celica

Post by celica » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:05 am

X5Sport wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:58 am Recon can take 24 hours or more so you need to just let it do it’s thing. Two lights indicate that all is not lost, just the battery is well down. If you have a voltmeter it would be useful to know what it reads? If it is below 12V then it is at end of life, below 11.8V and a cell is dying. Anything less than that and replacement is your only option.

Putting a jump start on would at least let you open the boot. You may be able to do that with the battery charger connected too as long as you don’t do anything else but that :) waking these cars up pulls a lot of juice.
I don’t feel comfortable leaving it over night on as it’s making a ticking noise. I’ve just put the ctek on now and see how it is this evening

But thanks using a booster car meant I could open the boot at least.
I was told by someone to go charge direct to battery but I’m worried to do so with the other electricals

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:29 am

If you go direct charge (which you can) then it’s best to take the battery off the car entirely. The clicking will be the electrical systems trying to re-energise.

The IBS is on the -ve side (chassis) and you can still charge direct.

Reconditioning a battery takes time or the cycle won’t complete so your battery won’t recover. If the car is trying to wake up all the time then you either need a bigger charger to overcome it, or take the battery off. It’s partly why I bought the 10A version (well that and I got it on a really good Amazon deal 8) )

The 4x4 light is normal and usually goes away after you move the steering from lock to lock whilst driving at walking speed. It’s just the system resetting itself.

If the battery isn’t recovering then have a look at Tayna Batteries on line. Next day delivery and good battery range. I fitted a Yuasa YBX9019 to the X6. You need an ‘019’ format, 90Ah (or better), with a cold crank (CCA) of at least 800Ah. This one is £156 + £10 delivery from Tayna.

You do need to get the new battery coded to the car as soon as you can - it’s a 5 min job to do as long as you have the tools, a nearby shop, or a local to you member :)

All of our BMWs since 2004 have come with AGM batteries fitted and only the 2-series has Stop/Start.

celica

Post by celica » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks
I’ll give it a good charge and see how it goes and avoid waking it up.

Probably sounds like i will need a new battery

I’m just not confident changing it over, as seems more electrical stuff around it in video
https://youtu.be/bE22LoDpIQE

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Changing mine was simple. As shown in the video. These are easier to do than the E53 because everything is right at the back :D

The bits on top of the battery just lift away as blocks. I didn’t use power tools but you do need a socket set. Halfords can do the job if you need. They do sell 019 format batteries.

Instructions are here too. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e70- ... er/OapK682

Charging info here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e70- ... th-holder/

Battery general info: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e70- ... 0-battery/

celica

Post by celica » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks

Problem is I can’t get to Halfords if it doesn’t crank over lol

I might order the same battery as you from Tanya

Will see how the charge goes first, if no luck I’ll try and remove the battery and charge it directly off the car before ordering a new one.

It’s about 4-5 years old now the old battery

I don’t have a multi metre to check voltage

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 am

Just disconnect one terminal and charge it in-place.

celica

Post by celica » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 pm

Ctek with 24 hours charge
Got to 3-4 lights but then an error light and could never start it

Thanks to x5sport I ordered the battery from Tanya and fitted it and it’s alive!!

I know need to get this coded, usual garage said they will do, but how long can I leave it for before coding?