Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Part worn 6-7mm tread, - £50 for the 20 inch wheels

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
H4MP

Part worn 6-7mm tread, - £50 for the 20 inch wheels

Post by H4MP » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:20 am

So guys at my local place I always buy part worn which last me around 6-9 months or around 8000 miles.
These are run flats that are * star marked.

What do you guys do. Buy brand new? Really expensive I think if I had to buy brand new I wouldnt be able to keep up with maintenance.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Part worn 6-7mm tread, - £50 for the 20 inch wheels

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:18 am

I think you are asking for trouble.
Your dif will be next when you get your gearbox sorted.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:34 am

Part worn = part safe.

Stolen from Autocar...........
The truth of the matter is this; if there was one area of car maintenance in which you shouldn’t scrimp on cost, it’d be the only part of the car that actually makes contact with the road - the tyres.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:11 pm

You don't have to buy runflats you can buy normal tyres which are much cheaper only issue is then you have no spare wheel. The main thing is you want all the treads depths to be very similar and ideally all the one brand.
If your happy enough with part worns and they are carefully inspected for any damage then its up to you ,they also need checked for overheating damage as driving while flat more than a few miles soon makes then scrap , something the makers don't say much about when they tell you how good they are .The limit might only be 50km now thing its was reduced and that isn't very far !

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:20 am

Would be safe to say if you buy a second hand car you are buying part worn, and not always the history is known about why/ when the tyres were fitted. Just saying, your choice.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:16 pm

New only, always. As said above you don’t have to use runflats. You can have something like Puncturesafe installed. Water based rubber solution that seals holes up to 0.25” and stays in for the life of the tyre. Used by Police, Ambulance, Caravaneers and motorcyclists. Not cheap to do. As it’s water based there’s no nasty mess that the emergency tyre kits create inside the tyre/rim.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.