Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Contemplating some new enhancements.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Contemplating some new enhancements.

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:12 am

After sooo much see-sawing and uncertainty about my emigrating to Greece, circumstances have dictated we will split our time 50/50. Post brexit the right to live in Greece requires MUCH effort and consideration and has to be 183 days minimum pa.

However i digress. I will be keeping the X6 for the foreseeable future now and thoughts have returned to doing some subtle body mods, specifically rear diffuser and the front underside protection, ( as BMW regards it :lol: )

Magna tuning offer these parts which look decent, circa £400 as seen below, though require painting. The question is, black paint, black 'crackle' finish like the lower bumper or colour match to the car body :driving:

marti

Re: Contemplating some new enhancements.

Post by marti » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 am

Nice enhancements, I would go with the black 'crackle' finish.... :)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:03 am

Pleased to get at least one endorsement for crackle. That option i could undertake myself, temperature permitting in the garage. Very obscure areas too, so any minor imperfections wouldn't be visible :thumbsup:
Last edited by sapphireblack on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Another vote here for black crackle. Second choice would be black and last choice would be the same colour as your car :thumbsup:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:51 am

Always issues :( the makers have advised they are swtching production from ABS to fibreglass, if i buy the front would be ABS, the rear would be fibreglass. I've never liked fibreglass :x

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 am

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:51 am Always issues :( the makers have advised they are swtching production from ABS to fibreglass, if i buy the front would be ABS, the rear would be fibreglass. I've never liked fibreglass :x
Agree fibreglass isn't the best however better it's the rear diffuser as less likelihood of hitting it/cracking it, so don't think it would be an issue.

Oh and as for paint, I'm always an advocate of colour coding.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:05 am

Fibreglass has to be spot on to fit, tweaks are far from easy and often these parts don't fit 100% initially either, despite sellers claims. It just doesn't inspire me like plastic.

Colour coding is generally good but the original flat silver rear panel is surrounded by grained black trim anyway. If you can make out the silver trim underneath, thats where the diffuser would fit.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 am

Yeah can be a bit hit and miss definitely. Difficult one to call but guess you can always try and source an ABS version hopefully.

As for the colour well as there is already that sliver of colour at the bottom it may not look too bad and break up the black (bit like the entry boot strip and and the bumper). Depends if you decide to keep the front one black or colour code as that will tie it in potentially. Even crackle would look good and blend into the existing panelling.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am

I think my only option now is to buy the front ABS piece and crackle finish it.

For the rear there has always been the M sport diffuser kit, nice but not inexpensive. I tried an aftermarket version of this from a London/Essex seller but it was 'only' £200 for a reason, poor fit and gappy joins.

For the rear i think its this or nothing :(

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 am

Have to admit if there is the option of a genuine item (even though I know it's never cheap) I'd always go that route. You just know it will fit and finish perfectly which is always my only main concern.

If you have the part number I can check what's the best price I can get on it too if it helps.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:34 pm

I'm sure there was a kit bundle, Cotswold quoted me maybe a year ago, i can't find it now tho.

Its basically three components, item 2 can be painted if factory fitted, i'd want it to stay black. If this was added to the rear, the front would have to have something added for balance and BMW don't offer anything, other than a full retrofit M package for about £4k+ :o

If you're happy to get me quote tho i'd appreciate it :thumbsup:

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:47 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:34 pm If you're happy to get me quote tho i'd appreciate it :thumbsup:
No worries will get a price tomorrow. So is it all those that make up the whole diffuser?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:07 am

It is. It may even pop up as a kit, i'm sure that's what Cotswold had offered me :)

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:07 am It is. It may even pop up as a kit, i'm sure that's what Cotswold had offered me :)
Sent you a PM. Not a huge amount I could get off this unfortunately.