Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Keeping the x5

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
approved

Keeping the x5

Post by approved » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:18 am

Think it’s a keeper. In an uncertain world, if in doubt, do nowt is my motto, so am going to tidy it up a bit.

Noticed an ever so slight transmission grumble under load, almost like clutch slip. It doesn’t do when shuffling about, but when you press on from lower speeds, it’s just noticeable. It’s done 83k and it’s nearly 11 years old so am going to treat it to a transmission service. Gearbox for sure but would you guys suggest diffs as well?

Anything else I should be thinking about ??? All usual stuff is up to date....

marti

Re: Keeping the x5

Post by marti » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 am

Yes to the diff fluid, diffs always get forgotten....brake fluid change would be another one....

rehan

Post by rehan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:28 am

+1 on the diff oil service. Check for oil colour. If it's black it might be a sign of wear. Mine had rumble for no apparent reason. The diff eventually failed internally. The oil was black that came out of it.

approved

Post by approved » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Ok, so, tyres are done ( camber wear, outer front, inner rear) as is transfer box ( preventative maintenance and it feels better already)

next on the list.

1/ rear pads - mot advisory but 3500 left on idrive
2/ Suspension arm - mot advisory
3/ gearbox service - its about that time
4/ Diffs - front and rear, about that time
5/ Oil service - due in jan so might as well be done at the same time

Anything else i've missed?

Brake fluid isnt due till later next year, so that can wait
Last edited by approved on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Fuel and air filters, and perhaps the cabin air filter?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

approved

Post by approved » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 pm

All done last big service at about 77k.

Hopefully this lot should be it for a while.... :D

approved

Post by approved » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:18 pm

Well, all done.

Was sat wondering, waiting, thinking if it was overkill. Wondered if i was imagining things. Wondered if i was doing the right thing. Wondered if i should leave it, because i could probably use the money elsewhere....

So,

gearbox service, inc mechatronic sleeve ( so full ZF 6HP gearbox kit)
diffs, front and rear
engine oil and filters
rear pads
NSF control arm

drum roll....

It's difficult to explain how different it is, (i'm guessing because as it was all done at the same time?)

Gearbox is really really smooth, more than after just the transfer box service. Even though its still adapting following the necessary reset. Progression feels smoother, under different loads. It steers and brakes really well.

We hadn't really noticed the decline, because its over such a long period of time ( i bought sub 50k and now just under 85k, over 7 years), but now hopefully good for another 80k.

Did some research and decided to get it all over and done with.

Cost just over a grand ( two, if you include the tyres)

Anyway, chuffed.
Last edited by approved on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:00 pm

If you are happy then it was worth it if its a keeper :driving: , was the gearbox service about 500 quid ? Mine is on 146k now probably best leave it alone ! :D

approved

Post by approved » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:23 pm

It’s done well!

I basically did it to give me a bit of confidence certain things wont ( or are less likely to) grenade. The Gearbox was £ 370 done, using the OE ZF kit, so it seemed like a no brainer.

Hopefully, it’s all just preventative maintenance, based on things i’d read about and to be fair, the car did have some of the symptoms associated with some of the failure, albeit very minor ( slight gearbox grumble, slip etc). The Mrs hadn’t noticed anything different, but I hadn’t driven it for a while and I noticed it didn’t feel ‘right’. One thing lead to another and here we are.

Mechanically, it should good for a few more years, with the upside being should we decide to change, the work will be seen as a massive positive for a potential buyer.

Its night and day better than it was, with some added piece of mind.

Now to look at a couple of cosmetic items and try and fix a few rattles...

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Its all good work for sure and the gearbox service was cheap enough .I had a bit of a rumble thought it might be gearbox related at a time but only under very specific conditions where I tended to lift off on the crest of a long hill at a certain speed around 50 mph , turned out to be a front wheel bearing in the end which is very common on these especially if you had a sticking caliper in the past on that side which causes too much heat :D