Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

"Windy Guns"

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

"Windy Guns"

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:08 pm

I've always winced (or intervened) when an air gun has been used to fit wheel bolts. I can see their usefulness in unwinding bolts more efficiently, but to refit only via a ratchet and torque wrench makes sense.

As I'm getting on in years now and change wheels more frequently than many, i bit the bullet and bought this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126014084905 ... media=COPY

I'm very impressed for the money, it winds out the bolts very easily and quickly of course. My first test was today and theres no going back now. Wheel changing just got easier 😎

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

"Windy Guns"

Post by X5Sport » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:20 pm

Good idea :D

I don’t mind using power tools to get the wheel bolts undone - though for now I can do that with an extension bar - it’s watching places do them up with them that scares me. I did once (and only once) allow a tyre place to do that having been assured the torque was correctly set. It wasn’t (I was a bit naive I suppose) and I think they were at over 200Nm when I checked them - and needed a very long bar to undo.

The place I use now always torques them correctly with a big Snap On calibrated tool. I’ve got a DeWalt impact driver that won’t ‘free’ bolts at 140Nm, or do them up that tight, but is good enough to get them off and on again. I use a decent torque wrench to set them after.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

"Windy Guns"

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:34 pm

I assume main dealers torque set bolts, but i always check when a wheel/wheels have been removed.

I have my trusty BMW fixed torque wrench now and thats another plus point for me.

gmc15

"Windy Guns"

Post by gmc15 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:09 pm

I have an air compressor that I tried with a windy gun to remove bolts and I chewed a few (on my wifes Ford) so I won't use it on the BMW. It's als a bit of an ordeal getting to the compressor and the hose and gun.
I have lookes at the electric impact wrench but as there are so many on the market and with huge differences in price I have not bought one.
I think I might invest in a one like yours as it is not too expensive and you've tried it successfully. :)
I change wheels on a couple of the family cars to winters so that gun sounds very useful.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

"Windy Guns"

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:19 pm

Cost wise and without a blasé attitude, its not a major fail if it isnt viable longer term. Based on its use today its a winner.👍

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

"Windy Guns"

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:26 am

Had a Milwaukie one for some time now and it's a godsend for me getting on in years plus semi disabled.
It wasn't cheep but it takes the same battery as my other tools so made sense o get it.
But i still use my torque wrench to finish the job.

Greydog

"Windy Guns"

Post by Greydog » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:54 am

I used to use a steel erecting company that always used Milwaukie or Hilti guns they used to specify 200nm when buying new guns. On a site in Dartford we had several bolts (M16 and M20) sheared. I had the guns tested torque was set at 530nm so beware if tightening any thing with one of these
Yes I have one as said great for removing stuff but for me and the car it goes back the old fashioned way

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

"Windy Guns"

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 am

Old fashioned has its advantages 🙂

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

"Windy Guns"

Post by Leslie » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:31 pm

I bought a Sealey 18v one and when I tried it wouldn't remove some of the x5 wheel bolts which was a it disappointing but has been useful for other things , I have for many years not let the tyre place I use tighten my bolts up and the one time they did I broke an extending bar socket trying to undo it , took a long bar and an impact socket to get it off :headbang: They do love the ugga duggas :rofl: all the ones I have been too have been the same ,3 ugga dugga's then bring the torque wrench out , they haven't a clue but that's the way they were shown I guess :?

As for ford lugnuts they have a tin cover and this will round if you go near it with an impact and there is an 18mm nut underneath :headbang: ,best thing you can do with those is throw them in the bin like I did , worst design ever .

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

"Windy Guns"

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:59 am

Tyre fitters using a torque wrench after a windy gun is sort of amusing and obviously pointless, which they seem oblivious to. Unless they know for certain what the gun is set to, which I'm confident they don't, the bolts will be past their settings wherby the wrench just clicks off. Torque settings vary significantly from vehicle manufacturers of course, 140Nm on my BMW, whereas my VW is 180Nm.

Indiscriminate use of air guns is widespread we know. In the past, I've really struggled to undo bolts/ nuts which were way over tightened. Only recently in Greece i had a tyre swapped, i let the guy get on with it knowing I'd check anyway, i like the locking bolts in the same position on every wheel (sad i know) i had to use amazing leverage to get two bolts swapped. The locking bolt key was destroyed in the process, thankfully i have a spare. All five bolts were ridiculously tight.

StuBeeDoo

"Windy Guns"

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:21 am

Without wishing to appear smug, I'm in the fortunate position of being in a household with 2 MPVs, as well as my X3. If a trip to the tyre place is necessary, the wheels come off the car at home and they go to the tyre place in the back of one of the others.

Then, the only potential issue is the tyre fitter damaging the finish on one or more of the wheels. :roll:
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

"Windy Guns"

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:10 am

Thats a nice option, that i dont have, X5/6 rear wheels are particularly bulky and heavy too.