Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Suspension

Post by henrym3 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:54 pm

After getting the X back with rebuilt box an MOT showed the slight movement in one of the rear suspension bearings, not enough to fail but I decided to do both sides. Not easy to get them out but eventually got done. This job then threw up another problem in that the tab that the air suspension sensor attaches to via a ball joint was broken which immediately explained why the air suspension was playing up. So decided to remove the bottom arm to effect a bodge I mean a repair. This then threw up another problem in that one of the bolts the one with the eccentric washers was seized inside the bush and could not be removed by beating heating swearing. So the ends were ground off and the ends the bolt passes through leavered apart so the bottom arm dropped down. The arm was then put in a press to push what was left of the bolt out of the bush.
This is now on hold as I put the window of the e46 down and then it wouldn’t shut so spent the afternoon stripping the door out to find the regulator is toast. Got that out and new one ordered window back in and held in place with some wood.
That’s where I’m at.
Interestingly I had priced a new crank sensor for the m3 at my local BMW dealer at £177 but decided to check with Cotswold BMW and got the sensor and eccentric bolts and washers plus some other parts for £175. Amazed at the difference in price between dealers.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Suspension

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:18 am

Ouch……one of those I wish I’d never started jobs.

For those unaware, Cotswolds offer discounted parts to Forum members. Assuming it still works ‘cotswoldbmwmini’ is their ident on here. If you send them a PM with details and your VIN they’ll come back to you.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Suspension

Post by henrym3 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:20 am

I’ve looked and haven’t seen cheaper genuine BMW parts anywhere and that includes the postage.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Suspension

Post by henrym3 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:07 pm

Thought I’d put up a few pics of the problems.
IMG_0337.jpeg
IMG_0337.jpeg (230.25 KiB) Viewed 283 times
IMG_0340.jpeg
IMG_0340.jpeg (118.51 KiB) Viewed 283 times
IMG_0343.jpeg
IMG_0343.jpeg (298.22 KiB) Viewed 283 times
I drilled and tapped and was going to fabricate something but have decided to go to an alloy welder on Monday and see if they could weld a tab on.
The second pic shows that the little tabs that the eccentric washers work on are gone. They reduced the washer movement by 50% so I got rid of them. Can’t decide if I’ll get now tabs on or weld the plate I’ve made and put the tabs on it.
Does anyone know if that bottom arm can be welded.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Suspension

Post by henrym3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:19 pm

IMG_1292.jpeg
IMG_1292.jpeg (239.22 KiB) Viewed 158 times
So gents the bottom rear arm can be welded.