Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel rim protection

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Wheel rim protection

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:55 pm

As I've noted elsewhere on the forum, I recently kerbed one of my wheels. To be fair, it's the first one I've damaged in well over 20 years.
However, it started me thinking. Has anyone here used the likes of these?
For less than what I've had to pay to have the damaged wheel repaired, I could protect all 4 wheels from something similar happening again. If I had had them on three weeks ago, I definitely wouldn't have had the hassle of getting the refurb done, because the damage was right on the edge of the rim.

Thoughts, please, gentlemen............?
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Wheel rim protection

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:24 pm

I'd say they are worth a try, it's very easy to kerb a wheel as these cars are so wide now for parking on the roadside I find.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Wheel rim protection

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:19 am

More than once I've toyed with the idea of contrast colour edges, but the few I've noticed on other vehicles didn't convince me. One issue for me would be getting a perfect butt joint, as thats only as good as the person fitting them. Gaps that fill with crud highlighting the joint would not be a smile inducer.

** i should have read all the details on the eBay listing. Self adhesive in the harsh environment car wheels are in 🤔. I wonder how good the adhesive is. The type that require tyre deflation must be 'better' but thats an additional cost to consider.

I'd go with a rim refurb personally. :)

StuBeeDoo

Wheel rim protection

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:31 pm

Thank you both for your input. :thumbsup:

As ever with the topics I start, it was really a case of me thinking aloud. I will have a better idea if I actually feel the need to protect the rims once new tyres are fitted to them on Wednesday.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)